C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning & Detailing UnderBody after Removal from Frame 1980

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2003, 07:16 PM
MRKearney
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Cleaning & Detailing UnderBody after Removal from Frame 1980

Any tips on getting all the years of oil, tar and grease off the underbody of my 1980 Corvette now that I have the body lifted off the frame? Also, looking for tips on painting the underbody after cleaning. Must it be sanded?
Old 10-18-2003, 08:10 PM
bubby
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Cleaning & Detailing UnderBody after Removal from Frame 1980 (MRKearney)

Now your in for some fun. You'll need putty knives, plastic sheeting, wire brushes, 2 gallons of "Marine Clean" from POR-15. Spread out the plastic sheeting underneath your frame, scrape as much gunk off as you can, spray and let saturate with marine clean, hose off, scrape, more marine clean, hose off, and start wire brushing, I sanded down any signs of rust down to bare metal. Then get "Metal Ready" and POR-15 and follow instructions and your all set. Hope that helps. :thumbs:
Old 10-18-2003, 11:36 PM
Riley
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Cleaning & Detailing UnderBody after Removal from Frame 1980 (bubby)

Well it looks like we are doing the same project. i also have an 80 frame which i am cleaning. A scrapper and Gunk remover is what i am using. I find if you wire brush it to early you just spread the tar around. I apply the Gunk remover (degreaser) with a stiff brush then scrap the frame and repeat. Once all is removed i will wash the frame with good old Ivory soap and then let is dry before brushing on Por-15.They say Por-15 will bond good to rust so there is no need to take it to fresh metal. I have put in 2 days of scrapping and i think i will have 2 more while i wait for parts. This has got to be the worst job of the restoration.....good luck

Get notified of new replies

To Cleaning & Detailing UnderBody after Removal from Frame 1980

Quick Reply: Cleaning & Detailing UnderBody after Removal from Frame 1980