C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'82 check engine light and smoke

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2003, 04:06 PM
tankman
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default '82 check engine light and smoke

Good afternoon,
have any of you with '82's ever experienced this problem.I see no leaks,but I have plenty of smoke which appears to start on the passenger side at the exhaust manifold.I'm hoping it might be something as simple as a gasket,but I also have the check engine light on.I now have no codes,just the light and lots of smoke.I know it's not the oxygen or map sensors.If any of you remember having similar problems,please give me your thoughts.The engine runs strong,but there is a clicking sound.I did pull the valve covers and found a loose rocker arm.I tightened it according to the shop manual.The click is still doing its thing.I AM LOST!
Tankman :confused:
Old 10-18-2003, 05:42 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: '82 check engine light and smoke (tankman)

the clicking is the injectors, the light being on, there MUST be a code or it is an ACTUAL code 12, meaning the ECM does not get a crank signal from the HEI.

Lots of smoke? What color? Black (too rich) blue (oil) white (coolant) ????
Old 10-18-2003, 06:39 PM
tankman
Burning Brakes

Default Re: '82 check engine light and smoke (Twin_Turbo)

Hello Twin-Turbo,
Thanks again for the help.I just went out and started it up.After about 20 seconds what appears to be white smoke begins.I was in error re:the code.I checked again and I get the code 12 several times,then I get two quick pulses several times.Then it goes back to the pulse,pause,2 pulses which I am assuming is code 12.Then it switches to two quick pulses.I have not found anything in the manual to explain the two pulses.I wish I could explain it better.Thanks again.
Tankman
Old 10-18-2003, 06:51 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

that's a code 22, the codes are EACH flashed 3 times

So code 12: flash --- flash flash , repeat, repeat

code 22 flash flash --- flash flash , repeat, repeat,

and then the next codes, when all codes are displayed it starrt with code 12 again so then you know it's gone full circle.

22 = TPS voltage low, it should be set to 0,525 V with ign. on and no throttle (you can checnge is by unscrewing the 2 torz screws on the tps and moving it slowly, uou'll need to insert wires or get a splice in tool to check the boltage)

Since it's obvious you don't know exactly how to check the codes, do it again and watch those flashes and write down all the codes you find, the wrong TPS setting will explain a constant check engine light at idle & part throttle.

White smoke, that sounds like a coolant leak there, have you checked the coolant for traces of oil? Is the coolant level good, not dropping? Does the smoke smell sweet?

Old 10-18-2003, 07:05 PM
tankman
Burning Brakes

Twin-Turbo,
The smoke does have a different smell.I've been trying to link it to something.Maybe it is semi-sweet.I won't be able to do anymore checking until the morning because the car is under an unlit carport.I'm going to follow your advice.Thank you.
Tankman
Old 10-18-2003, 08:56 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 511 Likes on 311 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

1. Are you needing to add coolant every few days? White smoke as TwinTurbo said is water or coolant. If so you'd be better off filling the system with only water because antifreeze with damage the engin if it is an internal leak like a head gasket until you get it figured out. Also you might want to pressure test the cooling system to see if it is leaking at a cylinder. This would also soon develop into a miss in the motor as it's running.
Old 10-18-2003, 09:41 PM
tankman
Burning Brakes

Default Re: '82 check engine light and smoke (killain)

Hello Killian,
Thanks for helping me out.I'm going to check the coolant in the morning,and also try to get up on my ramps to see if I can find the origin of the smoke.I hope it's not a head gasket,or worse.If the coolant is low I'll use water.
Tankman
Old 10-19-2003, 02:49 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Since your car stays outside it can also be as simple as condensation in the xhaust, nothing to worry about then but do check your fluids
Old 10-19-2003, 11:08 AM
tankman
Burning Brakes

Hello Twin-Turbo,
Thank you for your continued help.I am hoping that this turns out to be something simple and not too serious.I do use my CE as a "partial' daily driver.I drive it 3 or 4 times a week.I have been very fortunate.Since you told me about the Tps voltage,I know now what happened,and it is another tribute to my stupidity.When I removed the valve cover on the driver's side,the cover was hanging up on everything.Yep,you guessed it,Iremoved the TPS not knowing that this would screw up anything else.When I first tried starting the car ,it would not start.I wiggled wires,pissed and moaned,cussed a little,but it still wouldn't start.I quit for a while tried to start it and it started.I'm going to go get on my ramps and try to find the source of the smoke.Thanks again.
Tankman
Old 10-19-2003, 11:51 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

set that TPS first, you want to set it somewhere around that 0,525V
Old 10-19-2003, 02:35 PM
tankman
Burning Brakes

I don't even know how to begin setting the Tps,But I think I've found the source of the smoke.On the pass. side exhaust manifold there is some type of shield.There are some small pipes or tubes that seem to be part of the exhaust manifold. one of the pipes/tubes is broken at the weld.There may be more but I can only see one.I'll have to decide now whether I want to try pulling the exhaust and try to find a replacement part,or take it to a welding shop to see if they can weld it,or...........
Old 10-19-2003, 03:16 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

those tubes are part of the AIR system, when in open loop the 2nd air switch valve from the air pump switches to divert the air stream to the headers, the tubes inject the air and this heats up the O2 sensor. After warming up and switching to closed loop the air is diverted to the cat by the same switching/diverter valve. The 1st valve switches between venting to air cleaner (for deceleration > eliminates popping in exhaust) andto 2nd valve.

Have that tube repaired, if exhaust gas can coime out air can come in, this will really screw up the O2 signal and you'll run too rich.

Replacements are really hard to find.

As for the TPS, just get the readout tool (ecklers, mad, ....), it's basically a wire splice. Disconnect the TPS connector and insert the tool between TPS and connector, use the pigtails w/ aligator clamps to connect to a Multi Meter. 1 is ground, 1 is 5V voltage and the last one is pot signal (dependant on throttle position). You can measure voltage or resistance. Both should be linear across the entire sweep.

Turn the ignition to "on" with engine off and read the voltage, adjust to 0,525V +/- 0,025V and tighten the TPS. Watch the voltage, when tightening it the setting usually jumps a bit. Now fully open the throttle and watch the voltage. It should be at or very close to 5V, if not something is either wrong with the throttle not fully opening or the TPS is shot. If it's shot the resistance and voltage measurements will most likely have drop offs from linearity.

Old 10-19-2003, 06:25 PM
Split Sixty Three
Instructor

Hi Guys,...notice that you are discussing ECM and engine codes here and I would like to ask a pretty dumb question but where is the node connection located on the 82 CE's for conecting the code reader and checking the 'check engine" light codes? Someone told me it was along the console tunnel around the parking break area and to just remove the carpet cover piece on the drivers side of the console and I would find it but I'm not sure what it's supposed to look like or if this is even the right location. Can someone describe the location and what this terminal connection looks like? Many thanks,...Tom Save The Wave!!! :cheers:
Old 10-19-2003, 06:31 PM
tankman
Burning Brakes

Default Re: '82 check engine light and smoke (Split Sixty Three)

Hey Split sixty Three,
No dumb questions here.the connection is under the ashtray on the '82 CE.Just lift the tray out,look down,and you'll see it looking back at you.
Tankman
Old 10-19-2003, 08:17 PM
Split Sixty Three
Instructor

Tankman,...Thanks a million,..so simple yet if you don't know where to look it's like looking for a needle in a haystack,...Should have come to CF and let the experts like you here tell me to begin with, right? Initially I had been told to look underneath the steering column then as my previous post to check the drivers side carpet panel along the console tunnel,...boy this sure makes things alot more simpler,..Appreicate your help very much! Tom Save The Wave!!! :cheers:
Old 10-19-2003, 09:45 PM
tankman
Burning Brakes

Default Re: '82 check engine light and smoke (Split Sixty Three)

Split Sixty Three,
Thanks for the kind words But I'm just a rookie.When you really want to get great help,direct your concerns to Twin-Turbo.I think you will be hard pressed to find a better source of support and understanding.I am amazed at the responses I receive from him.I don't really know what I'm doing but he has improved my confidence level relative to jumping into my problem areas.Good luck,and remember,there are no dumb questions.
Tankman :D
Old 10-20-2003, 02:01 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Yeah that Marck, .....Twinnie....ummm....Twin Turbo. thats him, always hogging all the glory. :jester

He is a great person to know if your having a problem. :thumbs:

Get notified of new replies

To '82 check engine light and smoke

Old 10-20-2003, 07:37 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Default Re: '82 check engine light and smoke (Desertdawg)

:grouphug:

Go to http://www.crossfire.homeip.net for a lot more info, read through it and you'll be tweakin' and tuning that car in no time.
Old 10-20-2003, 09:04 AM
tankman
Burning Brakes

Default Re: '82 check engine light and smoke (Desertdawg)

Hi Desertdawg,
:iagree: Tankman
Old 10-20-2003, 09:07 AM
tankman
Burning Brakes

Hi Twin-Turbo,
I'll be reading.Thanks for the help.
Tankman

Quick Reply: '82 check engine light and smoke