C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about mounting chrome letters to fiberglass bumper

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2003, 01:29 PM
kaz1961
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question about mounting chrome letters to fiberglass bumper

Before my 75 was repainted a fiberglass rear bumper was installed and for some reason they put the old CORVETTE letters back on. The letters looked OK but I wanted to replace them with new ones. When I removed the old ones I found that one of the "E's" had a mounting post missing so they only drilled one hole for that letter instead of two. The question is: What is the best way to get the hole drilled in the exact spot it needs to be? I was thinking of making a paper template using the letter marking the spot for the mounting post on the paper and then transferring that to the bumper. I am terrified that I will drill in the wrong spot and have a crooked letter. Any advise or tips would be greatly appreciated. :)
Old 10-18-2003, 07:09 PM
76Frankenstein
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Question about mounting chrome letters to fiberglass bumper (kaz1961)

If the broken post position is visible on the old letter, maybe you could drill it and use it as a template. Insert the good post in the existing spot on the bumper and mark for the new one through the drilled hole in the letter. Never tried it myself, but may work IF the new and old letters are identical.
Old 10-18-2003, 07:38 PM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 258 Likes on 210 Posts

Default Re: Question about mounting chrome letters to fiberglass bumper (kaz1961)

I don't know how your 75' is, but my 71' only had one hole per letter. They were spaced so the letters could not be installed in the wrong place (mispelled). There was one acorn nut holding each letter on.

Get notified of new replies

To Question about mounting chrome letters to fiberglass bumper

Quick Reply: Question about mounting chrome letters to fiberglass bumper