C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Glovebox lock problem on my '79

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2003, 03:10 AM
sqlguy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glovebox lock problem on my '79

Does anyone know how to keep the glovebox door latch/lock from spinning completely around and around??? I have to turn it just right.. to get the door to close... it is free spinning in there, BUT still works and locks...

I tried to take the glovebox door apart.. to take the latch mechinism out.. to see how to make it stable... BUT... after taking 4 screws out of the inside of the door... I only succeeded in having the cover hange from the latch.. nothing came off... the latch looks like a potmetal type of molded part... I can't for the life of me get it OFF.. or make it stop spinning freely...

Anyone know how to do either??? Make it tight and not spint.. OR.. remove it???

Thanks All...

-Mark

[Modified by sqlguy, 8:10 AM 10/18/2003]
Old 10-18-2003, 06:03 AM
OkeeGuy
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Glovebox lock problem on my '79 (sqlguy)

i just did this...here are two threads that should have enough info to do it :yesnod: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=356635
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=303309
Old 10-18-2003, 06:13 AM
sqlguy
Intermediate

Default Re: Glovebox lock problem on my '79 (SIGNGUY)

WOW.. thank you!

I will try that in the morning... sounds like it might get the thing out... would this same method help me to stop the thing from going in complete circles too?

-Mark
Old 10-18-2003, 08:55 AM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

About a year ago I removed the glovebox lock to take it to a locksmith. I reinstalled but could never get it tight. It would spin around. The other day I was trying to tighten it and broke the outer crome latch completely off. Now I have to buy a new one. I think the glovebox lock is the biggest pain in the a*$.
Old 10-18-2003, 04:18 PM
sqlguy
Intermediate

Default Re: Glovebox lock problem on my '79 (SIGNGUY)

THANX!! I don't know why I didn't see this historical post.. But I appreciate you posting that!!! I did it... similarly to the way those instructions told... I had messed with the thing for days (not continuous of course) and couldn't get it to do anything... The main thing that I learned from that post was that you have to have the lock in the CLOSED position... when you have the key in... and turn it.. while holding the lock mechanism closed (as if the door were closed) and the thing just slid right out... The secret was 2 part.. key in.. and holding the locking mechanism all the way closed... and WHAM... There is a tightening ring in there, once you remove the cylinder... simply sighten it up.. and slide the cylnder back in.. and it is PERFECT.. tight as new... (mine was not even threaded.. let alone tight before I did this)

Thanx again for all the help all!!!!

-Mark
Old 10-18-2003, 06:36 PM
OkeeGuy
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i also put a little locktite on mine... :yesnod:
dont want to do it again soon if you know what i mean... :rolleyes:

Get notified of new replies

To Glovebox lock problem on my '79

Quick Reply: Glovebox lock problem on my '79