C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progress Report & Three Interior Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2003, 10:31 PM
OkeeGuy
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Progress Report & Three Interior Questions...

1st of all...some pix of what i did today...
i finished assembling my dash and console and put the battery in so i could make sure everything worked and IT DID! WOO HOO!
i also did the Reflectex in the rear, also carpet and new compartment doors...
i decided to Reflectex the main floorboards last cause i am climbing in and out so much i didnt want to screw it up...

now for the questions...
1...what type of light bulb is the glove box light supposed to be??

2...my factory carpet had a really nice "retainer" sort of bead sewn in where it meets the door jam that pushed over the lip to hold the carpet in place and dress up the door jam edge...this carpet dosnt have that...
what do i do about that? is there a piece that i need to buy?
heres a pic...

3...what do these wires go to?

thanx yall!!!
Old 10-17-2003, 10:55 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Progress Report & Three Interior Questions... (SIGNGUY)

The project looks amazing, your car is going to be better than new when you finish. As for the carpet edge, I can't really picture what you are talking about. I know that you can get a binding edge sewn to carpet, it is really pretty cheap. I have had a couple pieces of floor carpeting edged to turn them into area rugs, for my wife's class room. A lot of carpet places will sew the stuff on for a couple of dollars a foot. I know you probably don't want to pull the carpet out and take it to a carpet store, but they could probably do it. Upolstrey shops can do it too, they might be able to do it with it still in the car, no telling what sort of weird tools they have at their disposal to do something like that.
Good luck!
Old 10-18-2003, 02:12 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Progress Report & Three Interior Questions... (Smokehouse69)

The wires are for the rear speakers I think
Old 10-18-2003, 06:32 AM
OkeeGuy
Safety Car

Default Re: Progress Report & Three Interior Questions... (Twin_Turbo)

The wires are for the rear speakers I think
rear speaker wires have been removed (custom stereo)
also the ones plug's wires are too heavy guage for speaker wire...
thanx tho...
Old 10-18-2003, 06:41 AM
blue72
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The heavy gauge yellow and purple wires go to your neutral/clutch safety switch depending upon your transmission. This circuit prevents you from starting the car while it's in gear. That circuit will have to be closed for you to start your car. At least that's what they were for in my '72.
I'm not sure what the blue/green wires do. It might be in the seatbelt warning light circuit.
I hope this helps...
BTW, it's looking good! I'm waiting to be in your position when I get the '72 back from getting paint. I'm going a little more custom with my interior, though.
-Jason
Old 10-18-2003, 06:47 AM
OkeeGuy
Safety Car

Default Re: Progress Report & Three Interior Questions... (blue72)

The heavy gauge yellow and purple wires go to your neutral/clutch safety switch depending upon your transmission. This circuit prevents you from starting the car while it's in gear. That circuit will have to be closed for you to start your car. At least that's what they were for in my '72.
I'm not sure what the blue/green wires do. It might be in the seatbelt warning light circuit.
thanx on the purple and yellow...
the other is NOT the seat belt wires...they are further down the line...
THANX!
Old 10-18-2003, 07:40 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

the pic blowup now works (didn't before) and now I can see the connectors clearly, they are BOTH for the park neutral switch & backup lamp. The yellow & purple is the p/n switch the lt green dk blue is for the backup lights:

Plug into these:(yellow is purple & purple is purple/white on 80-82)

[Modified by Twin_Turbo, 6:43 AM 10/18/2003]
Old 10-18-2003, 10:05 AM
Ybnormal
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your car is really looking good and you are a lot faster than me. I still debating on putting the new carpet and dash in now or wait until spring to install it.

1.Glove Box bulb is a GE 1891, not sure if that is what it is suppose to be but is what is in mine.
2.My carpet was just tucked in behind the lip and had no retainer on the edges. If you find some type of retainer edge to put on it lets see some pictures, I would like to do the same on my carpet when I install it. I think it would really dress up this area but have never seen the edge retainer you are talking about that was on your factory carpet, mine didn’t have it, so I guess the carpet I ripped out wasn’t factory.
3.Those wires go to the automatic shifter in mine. Not sure if they are used on yours since it is not automatic. Here is a picture of the wires on mine hooked up if interested.
www.angelfire.com/al/swhite7/temp.html

Keep us posted as you go along. I will be doing the same to mine soon and really appreciate your posting your progress.

YBNormal...drive a vette
Old 10-18-2003, 01:13 PM
Vmo
Racer

Looks great!! I'm doing my carpet in my 74, and will be very happy if mine comes out anywhere close to as nice as yours. Good Job :smash: :smash:
Old 10-18-2003, 05:36 PM
LeAnn82Collector
Pro

Default Re: Progress Report & Three Interior Questions...

I've done several and yes the door jamp carpet tucks behind the lip and looks fine.

Nice job!

Greg
Old 10-18-2003, 08:24 PM
toyvet1
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Progress Report & Three Interior Questions... (LeAnn82Collector)

Signguy, when you ordered your carpet was it cut for a 79? Plush carpet was not used untill 78(?) so the 80/20 would have been from a earlier car. Did the kit you got have the the precut carpet for the console side trim? Where did you get your carpet from?
Old 10-19-2003, 07:40 AM
OkeeGuy
Safety Car

Default Re: Progress Report & Three Interior Questions... (toyvet1)

Signguy, when you ordered your carpet was it cut for a 79? Plush carpet was not used untill 78(?) so the 80/20 would have been from a earlier car. Did the kit you got have the the precut carpet for the console side trim? Where did you get your carpet from?
i went with the 80/20...custom order...
i never did like that plush stuff myself...maybe im old fashioned but i think the plush looks cheap...i suppose thats why they started using it...cost...
i prefer the 60's look of the 80/20...to me that was real auto carpet... :)
here are some pix of what i did yesterday...
1st of all, i have a custom speaker box so i have no use for the original rear speaker plates so what i did was turn them around backwards and carpeted the backs of them...i put the right on the left and visa versa...

i also did my sunvisors...they were in pretty bad shape...
they wernt ripped or torn or anything...just unsightly and the vanity mirror was old looking with that discoloration around the edges etc...
i 1st peeled the whole mirror off of the visor and had a local glass shop replace the glass part of it...then masked the little chrome corners and cleaned em real good with solvent...
how to lay them down so that i could dye the entire visor at one time was a problem so what i did was stick a pencil in the hole and drill a couple of holes in the bench and stuck the pencil in the hole...it worked real good...
when they were dry i stuck the mirror back on with epoxy...

then i put them back in the car along with the windshield trim and the T-bar trim piece...
im gettin there! it wont be long now!

i also removed my old compartment door locks and latches and cleaned and refinished them and installed them on the new doors...
the "complete new door frame and assembly dosnt come with those...
they should at $140... :rolleyes:
i cant put it back in yet tho cause i bought new compartment "boxes" too and they wont be here until mondey...i hope...
the middle box goes in under the door frame so i have to wait...

im making pretty good time on this project because im lucky enough to have my car in my sign ghop and can go in a couple hours early in the mornings and stay a couple hours late each evening after we close...
i also sneak out into the shop a little during the day to do a little here and there... ;)

tomorrow...roof panels and front carpets...
also a new window spring in the pass side door...

if you hadnt noticed, i did the front and rear 1st and i will do the "middle" of the car last...
that way im not climbing in and out and around on it while working on the front and rear... :)

[Modified by SIGNGUY, 7:44 AM 10/19/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Progress Report & Three Interior Questions...

Quick Reply: Progress Report & Three Interior Questions...