C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How can you tell if timing is off 180 degrees??

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2003, 09:17 PM
ill_driver
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can you tell if timing is off 180 degrees??

Here is my situation-

I just put my 383 in and am trying to fire it up for the first time. My starter is turning the crank. The engine sounds like its starting to fire and then *poof* almost every single time I get significant backfire through the carb.

Everyone I talk to that I know immediately says it is 180 degrees off, but after further inspection I am almost positive it is not. I turned the crank until I felt air pushing out of the #1 piston spark plug hole. I lined the harmonic balancer up with 0. I took off the distributor cap and lined the rotor up with 1 firing. It dropped in with no problems. If I turn the crank 360 degrees back to zero, where I am pretty sure TDC on the exhaust stroke is, it is firing at six I believe.

How can I make absolutely sure that I am NOT 180 degrees off. And if it sounds like I am not 180 degrees off. What could my problem be. I tinkered with the timing until I was blue in the face. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Karl
Old 10-17-2003, 09:24 PM
PRESSURERAT
Pro

Default Re: How can you tell if timing is off 180 degrees?? (ill_driver)

Have you got the plug wires going in the correct rotation on the cap?
If so, pull out the dist. and turn it 180 just to see. It wont take that long to try it.
Old 10-17-2003, 09:30 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like 180 off but it might also be your plug wires are off a tower or two, or they might be out of order. Make sure that plug wire #1 is at the tower the rotor is pointing at and recheck the order of the plugs. You could always against your gut feeling and rotate the dist 180 and see what happens, won't really hurt considering what you are experiencing right now. Good luck and don't get discourage, you figure it out then:cheers:.

BTW I don't like the finger method, prolly why am single right now :D , I pull the valve cover and watch the intake valve open and while it is closing I watch for the tdc line to come around.
Old 10-17-2003, 09:32 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: How can you tell if timing is off 180 degrees?? (PRESSURERAT)

When you are at TDC of #1 cylinder the rotor should not be pointing exactly at #1 plug, it won't start if it is. You need an advance in there and 15-20 degrees is a good start that means the rotor should be 15 degrees past the #1 plug in the clockwise direction :D
Old 10-17-2003, 09:44 PM
ill_driver
Advanced

I am 100% sure I have the wires correctly on the cap... I am in the process of trying to turn the dist. 180 degrees. Couple questions... Is this right,? I get it back up to top dead center. Put it firing on number one then hook everything back up? I got it back up to TDC and the rotor was pointing at five. I took the distributor out placed the rotor at one and tried to drop it, but it wont got the last 1/4 inch down... More suggestions?
Thanks alot,
Karl
Old 10-17-2003, 09:48 PM
PRESSURERAT
Pro

you will have to turn the oil pump shaft with a long screwdriver a little at a time until it finally drops down. look down in there with a flashligh, you'll see whats up!
Old 10-17-2003, 09:57 PM
ill_driver
Advanced

If it is on TDC on the exhaust stroke will the rotor be bewtween two points?
Karl

Thanks for all the responses
Old 10-17-2003, 09:59 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

:iagree: turn the oil pump. drop down the distributor and make sure the #1 plug is at the tower where the rotor button is on when the cap is placed. Make sure your at TDC...it should go. Backfire through the carb does sound like its 180 off..if anything it should backfire out the exhaust...seems like you've accomplished all the troubleshooting.
Old 10-17-2003, 10:02 PM
PRESSURERAT
Pro

It will be off if the distributor housing has been turned. In that case , it should be exactly 180 off. Top dead center for the firing stroke occurs when the piston is at tdc and both valves are closed on that cylinder. where ever the dist. is pointing at that time make that hte number 1 plug wire. Dont be too concerned where the distributor is pointing as long as everything else is right.
Old 10-17-2003, 11:27 PM
SnoDrgn
Team Owner

Location: Swords Check/Saws Check/Clubs Check/Claws Check/Hatred Check/Anger Check/Murmaid Check/Murder Check
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Sounds like it's 180 off.
Old 10-17-2003, 11:57 PM
Vetterodder
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Re: How can you tell if timing is off 180 degrees?? (MotorHead)

When you are at TDC of #1 cylinder the rotor should not be pointing exactly at #1 plug, it won't start if it is. You need an advance in there and 15-20 degrees is a good start that means the rotor should be 15 degrees past the #1 plug in the clockwise direction :D
:iagree:
Engines need some advance (that's why the marks on the tab show advance, not retard). Setting timing to 0º is likely to give the results that you're getting. Once you confirm that you are actually at TDC compression, rotate the engine until the TDC mark aligns with the proper (8,10,12, etc.) mark on the tab, then adjust the distributor so that the rotor is aligned with the #1 position on the cap. If you are unable to adjust the distributor to this position, then it is installed incorrectly and needs to be reinstalled.
Old 10-18-2003, 12:15 AM
ill_driver
Advanced

Default Re: How can you tell if timing is off 180 degrees?? (Vetterodder)

Thanks for all of your help, but I am calling it a night.
I am getting very close, and I went back and triple checked EVERYTHING that I know to check. I'll call a buddy in the AM.
Thanks again,
Karl
Old 06-10-2018, 07:25 PM
EvanG
3rd Gear

i am having the same exact problem and my distributor will not go in with the rotor actually pointing at number one post, how is it that i turn it to go in to point at number 1 wire? do i just spin the distributor itself a bit at a time to get it to align with number 1 wire? i just figured out that ihave a 350 sbc instead of a 305 oem engine its a swap out of a c4 88 vet and its carbed becouse based on wheat ive read they dnt want to re harness the engine, i have an 84 pontiac firebird, it was running when i bout it but like ****, so i did the tune up and have been facing this problem of gas shoting out the carb since. my girlfreind said if we spin the engine by harmonoc balancer it will put it back to tdc and should start when new parts were installed but stilllllllll shooting gas out! please some one help me out im ******* lost and want to pour gas over the ****** and light it up. new to carb engine or engine at all so videos and fourms are my only means of learning what it COULD be. really really need some help wondering if i should take the dist. back out and tinker with it some more to get it pointing at number one but really dont know
Old 06-10-2018, 07:38 PM
keithl1967
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

As far as the car shooting gas out of the carb--that is a carb problem, not a distributor problem. You need to address that before attempting to fire the motor, otherwise you can have a catastrophic loss event!

IF YOU ARE UNSURE OF WHAT YOU ARE DOING AND THE CARB IS SPRAYING FUEL ONTO THE MOTOR OR INTO THE AIR, STOP AND GET HELP WITH THIS! For your own and the safety of others!

As far as the distibutor question--you need to make sure that the motor is on the compression stroke, and rotate the crank until it shows 10-12* BTDC (do not put it at 0*). Once it is on the compression stroke, drop the dizzy in as follow:

The #1 distributor tower can be wherever the rotor is pointing (assuming you are on the compression stroke correctly)...

That is to say, when you drop the dizzy in and seat it, just make whatever tower the rotor is pointing to your #1 cylinder, and follow the firing order correctly fomr there...

OR, if you really want the number one tower to be a specific place on the cap, then you will need a long flat blade screwdriver, and you will need to rotate the oil pump shaft to the correct orientation to get the dizzy to drop in and seat properly.

Last edited by keithl1967; 06-10-2018 at 07:45 PM.
Old 06-10-2018, 08:15 PM
EvanG
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by keithl1967
As far as the car shooting gas out of the carb--that is a carb problem, not a distributor problem. You need to address that before attempting to fire the motor, otherwise you can have a catastrophic loss event!

IF YOU ARE UNSURE OF WHAT YOU ARE DOING AND THE CARB IS SPRAYING FUEL ONTO THE MOTOR OR INTO THE AIR, STOP AND GET HELP WITH THIS! For your own and the safety of others!

As far as the distibutor question--you need to make sure that the motor is on the compression stroke, and rotate the crank until it shows 10-12* BTDC (do not put it at 0*). Once it is on the compression stroke, drop the dizzy in as follow:

The #1 distributor tower can be wherever the rotor is pointing (assuming you are on the compression stroke correctly)...

That is to say, when you drop the dizzy in and seat it, just make whatever tower the rotor is pointing to your #1 cylinder, and follow the firing order correctly fomr there...

OR, if you really want the number one tower to be a specific place on the cap, then you will need a long flat blade screwdriver, and you will need to rotate the oil pump shaft to the correct orientation to get the dizzy to drop in and seat properly.

Okay thank you so much brotha! so update is, i took your advice and now it stopped shooting the gas butttttt right when it would theoretically turn over it looses power lights go dim and then it tries to fire again and repeats, it cranks cranks cranks then it dose a small like rumble where it would have started but like i said looses its power any thoughts chief?
thanks much for the quick response kieth right now its in my grandmothers drive way and shed ike it moved so im working as fast as i can with the little knowledge and resources i have to get her moving!!
Old 06-10-2018, 10:59 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Ignition on #1 cylinder is just before TDC on the compression stroke. Remove #1 plug and rotate engine till you feel pressurized air coming out. DO NOT 'seal' the plug opening with your finger!

Once you stop close to TDC on compression stroke, check position of your distributor rotor. You will know if it is 180* off.

Get notified of new replies

To How can you tell if timing is off 180 degrees??

Quick Reply: How can you tell if timing is off 180 degrees??