C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'82 crossfire code flashes

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2003, 07:22 PM
tankman
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default '82 crossfire code flashes

Hello again,
With my engine running I am getting a pulsing(flashes)from the check engine light.I have grounded the ALDl.With the engine off I get a code 12.With the engine running the flashes are constant,and couldn't be counted with a calculator.Has anyone else experienced this problem,and is it possoble it could be the oxygen sensor?Thanks in advance to all of you who respond.
Tankman :eek:
Old 10-17-2003, 07:29 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: '82 crossfire code flashes (tankman)

It's not a problem, it's supposed to do that. With engine off, ign. on and the ALDL grounded the field diagnostics mode is entered and the CEL will start flashing fault codes. Code 12 = no HEI signal, but this code is always tripped when the ign. is off and the engine not running, therefore it's also used to check if the diagnostics are working but in reality it's the design of the system that sets this code.

As for the flashing, with the engine running it will flash crosscounts or sensor probes. When the ECM is in open loop (engine cold) the light will flash fast, it's the ECM probing for O2 signal voltage ( the O2 sensor is a chemical potentiometric generator, it creates it's own voltage but only when the zirconia core is permeable for xygen, i.e. lets O2 through - and it only does that when hot hence the warmup time)

When the engine is running for some time the light will flash only once every 2 secs or so. This is closed loop mode and every flash is a crosscount, that's when the stoichiometric value of air/fuel passes 14,7:1 (or lambda = 1)
Remove the jumper if you want to stop the flashing :D

Also, don't run in the service mode for a long time, the idle will be set to about 100rpm & TCC won't work
Old 10-17-2003, 07:45 PM
Skyhigh82
Racer

Default Re: '82 crossfire code flashes (tankman)

That's the only code I got from mine. I'm thinking it's because I have the exhaust off and the O2 sensor off. I trouble shot it for weeks but left it until my rear Y pipe comes in and install the completed exhaust system.
Old 10-17-2003, 07:49 PM
tankman
Burning Brakes

Default Re: '82 crossfire code flashes (Twin_Turbo)

Hey Twin-Turbo,
WOW,and thanks.The rest of my problem is that I am getting smoke from the right exhaust manifold area.The smoke appears to be coming from a tube that connects to a larger exhaust tube/pipe I haven't been under there yet to look up at it.When I disconnected the jumper,the check engine light remained on.I'll try again tomorrow.Thank you very much for your superfast responses.
Tankman :bb
Old 10-17-2003, 07:51 PM
tankman
Burning Brakes

Default Re: '82 crossfire code flashes (Skyhigh)

skyhigh,thanks for responding.Tankman

Get notified of new replies

To '82 crossfire code flashes

Quick Reply: '82 crossfire code flashes