C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT - marketing 101, or snake oil in the 21st century

Old 10-17-2003, 06:20 PM
76Frankenstein
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OT - marketing 101, or snake oil in the 21st century

Found this while investigating cleaners/waxes: Is there no limit to how low the marketeers will stoop to sell stuff to image conscious yuppies?
---------------------------------------------
ZYMÖL® Mini Cooper Glaze Kit
ITEM #SKMINI-BL 1 Kit
3 years before the Mini was actually available in the United States ZYMOL was hard at work testing Mini panels and paint samples to develop a wax uniquely suited to the paintwork of your Mini. The ZYMOL Mini Glaze Kit is the result of that early work. This easy to use kit includes:
-the Mini Glaze (4 oz.),
-HD Cleanse(6 oz.),
-Pre Wax Applicator,
-Microwipe Towelette
-Official MINI logo pin all packaged in a black satin bag

The Mini Glaze contains 11% Carnauba Sap, 22% #1 Yellow Carnauba and other natural oils.
Price: $ 49.00
---------------------------------------------
http://www.goodspeedmotoring.com/subcat.php?man_id=6

<edit> added link

[Modified by 76Frankenstein, 6:23 PM 10/17/2003]
Old 10-18-2003, 11:31 AM
Cookwithvette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: OT - marketing 101, or snake oil in the 21st century (76Frankenstein)

Wow. Just when I thought I'd seen it all. People will pay anything for a logo. :lol:

Anyone want to start a small company that takes the labels off turtle wax and slaps a Corvette logo on it? Perhaps a Honda brand too. Heck, I could use a few extra bucks. :rofl:
Old 10-18-2003, 11:53 AM
bigblockbob
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: OT - marketing 101, or snake oil in the 21st century (Cookwithvette)

:lol: :lol: Good stuff!! Re4ally man I can tell the difference between the normal wax and the turtle wax..... :leaving:
Old 10-18-2003, 02:06 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Man! Now that's some expensive wax! :lol: I'm sure the prewax applicator and microwipe-towelette make it worth the price though. :lolg: What the heck is a microwipe towelette? :confused:

They gotta be making $48 on each one they sell. Nice profit.
Old 10-18-2003, 06:49 PM
76Frankenstein
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (1970 Stingray)

Well, ya gotta pay for the 3 years of specialized research that went into it :lol:
Old 10-18-2003, 08:14 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: OT - marketing 101, or snake oil in the 21st century (76Frankenstein)

I used to snicker at those adds too.. A few years ago I tried pinnacle. The wax was about $60. Now that sounds expensive but you can do your car about twice a year for five years. I went one very easy and come off even easier. It actually made waxing my car a fun job. 6 months in florida and it still beads water and love bugs don't stick too it. I wouldn't go back to the other cheap waxes just for ease of application. A friend tried Mothers on half of his car and Pinnacle on the other half. The Pinnacle side was still beading three months after Mother died.
Old 10-19-2003, 02:08 PM
Double Aught
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: OT - marketing 101, or snake oil in the 21st century (bluevetteman)

I use the Zymol on my Hardtop and it is still beading, like you described. It has been on for at least three months. My PT has the Mothers and just like you said, it died out long ago. Allot of people hear swear by Zaino. So you wont find many who will say nice things about other products. I intend to keep using the Zymol.

Get notified of new replies

To OT - marketing 101, or snake oil in the 21st century

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OT - marketing 101, or snake oil in the 21st century