C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Physics for intake and exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2003, 05:22 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Physics for intake and exhaust

Was wonder what the diff is between the two and if using an x-pipe type configutation on the intake side would yeild the same results. I am assuming not but wanted input from the best knowledge base I know. Well now that I have asked myself I'll let you guys try now. :p:

BTW This is sparked by the tpi design on the long tube runners, wondering if an x design would do anything.
Old 10-17-2003, 06:09 PM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 201 Posts

Default Re: Physics for intake and exhaust (Fevre)

David Vizard has, in a couple of his books, gone into the pros and cons of various intake manifold designs. Reading his stuff is very informative.....
Old 10-17-2003, 06:26 PM
battsup
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Physics for intake and exhaust (KenSny)

your not gonna let us in on the pros and cons?
Old 10-17-2003, 07:21 PM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

I believe that the intake is moving slower than the exhaust. The theory is that the exhaust is using the x-pipe by using each pipe to help pull the exhaust faster from the other pipe and vice-versa. On the intake, you are "pushing" air into the engine and the only way to duplicate that on the intake is either "ram air", turbo, or supercharger.
Old 10-18-2003, 04:15 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Independent runners on the intake provide the most cylinder filling and least charge dilution. This is how engine builders/tuners can increase volumeteric efficency greater than 1. Independent runners are what make weber carbs so effective. Also allows greater cam overlap/bigger cam with smother idle and better fuel economy. Detroit used for barrels due to cost and seviceability/maintenance.
Exhaust crossovers/X-pipes balance the exhaust pressure and develops better exhaust savaging – to empty the cylinders. There is even more power to develop by matching the idividual cylinders – even accross banks/sides – to maximize savaging.
Most bookstores and usually most libaries will have something to read on this. ;)
Old 10-18-2003, 04:18 PM
Guru_4_hire
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: Physics for intake and exhaust (cardo0)

Arent webers peaky(I know they are pricey)
Old 10-18-2003, 05:05 PM
aharte
Drifting

Default Re: Physics for intake and exhaust (Guru_4_hire)

Arent webers peaky(I know they are pricey)
Probably. Any truly tuned intake or exhaust system is peaky. The opening and closing of valves generates pressure (sound) waves in the intake and exhaust system that bounce around in various ways. If the the bounces of these waves is timed just right, extra air can be rammed into the cylinder on the intake end or extra air is sucked out on the exhaust end (among other nice effects). The timing will only be right over a narrow rev band if things are fully optimized. Getting an improvement over a wider rpm band will result in smaller gains overall. That is unless you come up with a system for variable length intake runners (BMW has this).

Using these effects to their maximum isn't something I'd worry about though. It takes serious engineering to get it right. Only OEMs or serious racers have the budget for it. Throwing parts at it will gain you a little after a lot of trial and error tuning, but I'm not sure your gains would even be worth all that work.
Old 10-18-2003, 05:36 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Physics for intake and exhaust (aharte)

A good set (the right size and length) of headers will make 100x more difference than a good intake.

assuming the intake is adequate and the rest of the exhaust is ok...

Get notified of new replies

To Physics for intake and exhaust

Quick Reply: Physics for intake and exhaust