C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what circuits to kill with kill switch?

Old 10-16-2003, 10:53 PM
Marc80
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what circuits to kill with kill switch?

I reposted this since I was wondering why I had 46 viewers and no posts. I tried to post a TTT but was unable because of topic line length. I assume others ran into the same problem so I am reposting my question:

The product is the Ravelco which was recently discussed on a previous thread ...and you can see at http://www.neverstolen.com. The starter relay circuit is a recommended choice. I don't have an electric fuel pump or that
would be another good choice. Any ideas?

By the way, in the previous discussion someone objected to the standard dash installation. I installed mine in the cigarette lighter. The metal flex conduit passes alongside the transmission easily. So far so good.

I'll post a photo when I am all done.

Old 10-16-2003, 11:54 PM
stinky
Burning Brakes

Default Re: what circuits to kill with kill switch? (Marc80)

Tried to email ya but got returned twice. When it comes to theft protection of our Vettes I don't think most of us want to discuss methods on an open board...could just be me :) I didn't think the Ravelco unit was sold for individuals to install, I may have missed something on the web site.
Old 10-17-2003, 12:05 AM
LiveandLetDrive
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: what circuits to kill with kill switch? (stinky)

I don't have one any more, but when I was experimenting with this I put it in the neutral-safety switch circuit. Without the switch connected, turning the key does nothing. Radio, etc. comes on, but no turnover or ignition.

-Chris
Old 10-17-2003, 07:27 AM
Marc80
Racer

Default Re: what circuits to kill with kill switch? (stinky)

Dear Stink

Tried to email ya but got returned twice. When it comes to theft protection of our Vettes I don't think most of us want to discuss methods on an open board...could just be me :) I didn't think the Ravelco unit was sold for individuals to install, I may have missed something on the web site.
I cant imagine why you would hesitate to discuss theft protection. It really isn't that much of a secret. A thief would know that there is a kill switch when he couldn't start the car. This device is not magic, but a thief would have to rewire the car to get around it. It would require jacking up the car and doing a considerable amount of testing. Or just plain rewiring. Even if he knew what to do, it would be WAY more than most theives would want to deal with.

As far as whether it was intended "for individuals to install" who gives a crap. I can do almost anything I put my mind to. I fixed my power windows, parking break, breaks, steering, replaced the motor, trans, dist, carb, carpet, etc. etc. ...many many parts in this car already. So whats the big deal it is just a splice into a couple of wire circuits? And in general I am usually do a better job on stuff that is semi cosmetic (as is the rewrapping of the electrical harness where I tie in.) Also I will have the advantage of understanding exactly how my system is tied in.

Old 10-17-2003, 10:01 AM
jetech
Racer

I wired a relay into the BAT circuit to the distributor (the pink wire). I control this relay with a series circuit from a hot fuse through a under dash kill switch to the alarm switch on the fender to the relay. The relay has a ground wire off of it. If someone finds the under dash switch they still have to contend with the fender keyed switch. :cheers:
Old 10-18-2003, 12:37 AM
Marc80
Racer

Hey, sorry I was so crabby. It has been a tough week. My car broke and my puppy died. Plus it was early. Again, sorry. Marc
Old 10-18-2003, 12:55 AM
ROD NOCK
Pro

What circuits to kill with kill switch?
-----------------------------------------
-starter circuit (w/relay)
-Ign circuit (w/relay)
-Use batt disconnect switch
It's not the circuits you disable as much as how you go about it, and how hard it is to defeat.

[Modified by ROD NOCK, 12:57 AM 10/18/2003]
Old 10-18-2003, 08:21 PM
pillowmeto
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

right now mine is wired to the aytomatic trans kill that only allows the car to start in park or neutral. Eventually iw will run to the ignition/starter. If you have HEI there aer 2 wires that lead into the cap on the drivers side via a clip, one red one black. Snip one os those, preferablly red, and you can wire it into there, if those wires are not connected then the car wont start, and if you put a switch in there you can disconnect the wires, if you are going with a switich liek yuo are looking at i would go all out and wire it to either the the clutch or auto trans shut off, the distributor, and the starter.

MAtt

Get notified of new replies

To what circuits to kill with kill switch?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: what circuits to kill with kill switch?