C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dynomax Ultra Flos?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2003, 05:11 PM
garagedweller2
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dynomax Ultra Flos?

Are they as loud as Flowmaster 40s?
Old 10-16-2003, 05:28 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Dynomax Ultra Flos? (garagedweller2)

It is hard to tell because they have a diff tone to them. I would say no they are not as loud but they aren't much quieter either. GDH has them and I really liked the sound of them but not enough to take my 40's off and switch. But then again if I had the ultra flows I would not take them off the put 40's on either.

Did I :confused: ya? :)
Old 10-16-2003, 06:42 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Re: Dynomax Ultra Flos? (Fevre)

Chris makes a good point, his 350 sounds great with those Flows, the engine sounds like it has a lot of meat to it from idle on up. I have a 383 stoker that was designed to be a 1/4 runner. The Ultraflows are much quieter until the secondaries kick in when I really get on it. The sound is different btn the 2 mufflers - I think that the Flowmasters have more classic muscle car sound, but the Ultra's flow much higher cfm. When MountainMotor designed my engine it was from airfilter to tailpipe, the Ultra's were not added for their sound quality, just performance (cfm). I think that only the Borla's outperformed them on the cfm scale. Btw Borla's are great sounding mufflers as well but much more expensive - at least when I was building mine 1.5 years ago.
Old 10-16-2003, 06:49 PM
garagedweller2
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Dynomax Ultra Flos? (gdh)

gdh, do you have pics of your ZR1? I've heard sound clips of both and I like the Ultra Flo sound more (and their high flow rate). I just wanted to know how loud they were. Thanks
Old 10-16-2003, 10:20 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

I'll get my digital camcorder out on Saturday and get you some sound clips, if weather bad will just record in garage for you. Here's a link to some pics with the C5 seats and L-88 hood I installed this spring. http://www.geocities.com/gdhurst/gdh_72vette

[Modified by gdh, 10:23 PM 10/16/2003]
Old 10-16-2003, 10:30 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,183 Likes on 489 Posts

Have the 2.5" ultra flows on my built '64 and they sound really nice (and EVERYONE says so). Very muscular when the secondaries kick in. In prior tests I saw, they easily outflowed the Borlas and Flowmasters. Also they're stainless with lifetime guarentee at half the price of the Borlas.

I would never have Flowmasters as they have a very distintive drone at cruise speeds that, to me, is very annoying.
Old 10-17-2003, 04:41 PM
garagedweller2
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Dynomax Ultra Flos? (toddalin)

Wow, that's a gorgeous ZR1. Thanks for the info about the Ultra Flos. Every guy who owns a Mustang has Flowmasters, so the sound is getting annoying.
Old 10-19-2003, 10:45 PM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, that's a gorgeous ZR1. Thanks for the info about the Ultra Flos. Every guy who owns a Mustang has Flowmasters, so the sound is getting annoying.
I was in a car show yesterday and 99% of the cars there had Flowmaster mufflers. I agree, the sound is getting old.

Brett :thumbs:
Old 10-19-2003, 11:28 PM
Glensgages
Race Director

Received 62 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Re: Dynomax Ultra Flos? (Brettmc)

OK, so how 'bout a part-number on the DYNOMAX Ultra-Flows? I'm thinking about putting them on my '82 Cross-Fire; it'll be a REAL runner then....
:rolleyes:
Are they the same length as the OEM pieces? Fit the same location? The Ultra-Flows, combined with the M-A true-dual/no cat kit, are my next project....
Any help is greatly appreciated...

Get notified of new replies

To Dynomax Ultra Flos?

Quick Reply: Dynomax Ultra Flos?