C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prep for engine install

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2003, 12:24 PM
Augie 79
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Prep for engine install

I'm getting close to putting my rebuilt motor back in (stock L48, flat tops, 268 cam). I left the trany in the car, my question is....what can I put on the engine now while it's on the stand, without causing a problem during engine installation. Example, exhaust manifolds? water pump and pulleys? Keep in mind everything is stock, the radiator and condenser are also out of the car. Right now I have the heads and intake on, that's all. My old back doesn't want to lean over those beautiful fenders any more then it has to. thanks
Old 10-16-2003, 01:09 PM
ill_driver
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Prep for engine install (Augie 79)

I dropped mine in with water pump and pulleys, fuel pump, and starter on. I have headers so I put those into place before I dropped the engine, but I dont think with stock exhaust manifolds it would be a problem to out those in before the drop. Good luck!! :cheers:
Karl

[Modified by ill_driver, 6:10 PM 10/16/2003]
Old 10-16-2003, 01:29 PM
bigvette1
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Prep for engine install (Augie 79)

I did not note if it was SB or BB. Anyway, did you note the clearance on the front of the block as to if the WP will clear.

Personally, I put both in without the fuel pump, starter and exhaust manifolds. If makes the alignment of the engine much easier to the tranny which I see you left in. With the exhaust manifolds off it is easy to add the fuel pump and starter and hook up the hoses and wires. Besides one stray twist of the engine with the manifolds on and goodbye heater box or crack goes the fuel pump on the A-arm.
Old 10-16-2003, 03:52 PM
Augie 79
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Re: Prep for engine install (bigvette1)

Thanks guys, I think I'll leave everything off except for the water pump. I was thinking of putting the exhaust manifolds on because it would be easier to put the shrouds on that go over them. But I'll just deal with them once the motor is in.

Get notified of new replies

To Prep for engine install

Quick Reply: Prep for engine install