C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'79 ALARM

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 11:09 PM
BacaBill
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default '79 ALARM

My '79 starts to "honk" after I turn the key to the lock position. Is there a secret to the setting of the alam? It will shut off after I turn the key partly to the unlock position, but then I don't know if it's still armed. Anyone? Thanx,
Bill
:confused:
Old 10-15-2003, 11:54 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: '79 ALARM (BacaBill)

One of the tampering sensors is probably tripped causing it to alarm immediately after setting.
Old 10-16-2003, 05:02 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my 82, the alarm is set by hitting the power door lock and it is tripped if you open the door without a key, such as if you smashed a window and pulled the manual door lock **** out-like a car-thief might do.

If alarm is tripped, you need to use the door key on the door lock outside and turn it clockwise (unlock) to the end of travel and then turn it counterclockwise to the end of travel (do not lock it again though) and back to the middle to remove key.

or

If alarm is not tripped, you can turn ignition key to ON and then back to LOCK.

Then your car alarm is deactivated.

Putting your key into the ignition and turning will not deactivate the tripped alarm. In the 82s there is a starter interupt and you will go nowhere until the alarm is deactivated.

If your key lock mechanism is old and the electrical contact is worn, you might not have the alarm deactiveted properly by using the door key. You might find that the driver side door doesn't deactivate the alarm but the passenger side door does. This may be due to the fact that the key is rarely used on the passenger door lock and therefore never received any wear and tear.

Brent...
Old 10-17-2003, 08:11 AM
wbarkley
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The '79 system is pretty simple, I just got through troubleshooting mine (without power locks). If the horn is honking, then one of the 5 triggers is tripped. The easy ones to rule out are the door switches. They are the same ones that turn on the interior lights so if the lights are off, then those switches are open like they should be.

The next two are the t-top switches. These are located at the rear of each top, where the locking pin engages to the body. Access to the wires is gained by removing the trim pieces on the body that are above your head. Mine were pretty worn from age, but I was able to get the contacts to open like they should.

The last trigger is the hood switch that is located on the passenger side, near the firewall and is opened when the hood closes. I still have trouble with this one as the entire switch pushes through the bracket sometimes.

A good wiring diagram is at http://www.corvetteforum.net/c3/tune.../index24.shtml The '78 circuit is identical to the '79.

Good luck!

Get notified of new replies

To '79 ALARM

Quick Reply: '79 ALARM