C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1980 vette transmission

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 10:59 PM
tonylasser
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1980 vette transmission

what kind of transmission do i have on my 1980 vette L-48 automatic transmission. there are two kinds and im not sure which it is.
Old 10-16-2003, 12:16 AM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: 1980 Vette transmission (tonylasser)

That should be a Turbo350"C", a TurboHydromatic350 with a lockup converter.

The lockup converter gives you another little up-shift like feeling when the converter locks up around 40 - 45 mph. The lock-up is controlled by two factors. First is a switch on the brake pedal. If you are off the brake, lockup can occur. If the converter is locked, when you apply the brake the converter will unlock and free wheel.

Second is vacuum, or engine load. There must be at about 5 lbs vacuum to the vacuum module on the drivers side firewall for the module to allow voltage down the wire going to the transmission to do the lock up. If the engine is under heavy load (acceleration) the vacuum switch will not receive enough vacuum and will again unlock the converter and let it act like a normal torque converter.

The 350C is a good transmission, but rebuilds can be costly, especially if you have to replace the converter.

Quick Reply: 1980 vette transmission