C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

whats this "door" for?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 08:26 PM
OkeeGuy
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default whats this "door" for?

i think it controls a/c to defrost...and back to a/c again...
am i correct?
Old 10-15-2003, 10:40 PM
Kevin_73
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

Default Re: whats this "door" for? (SIGNGUY)

I am pretty sure that is your hot/cold air selector. It should have a direct mechanical linkage to the temperature selector in the console via a push/pull cable.
Old 10-15-2003, 11:16 PM
BacaBill
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: whats this "door" for? (Kevin_73)

That's the door that was wedged open in mine before I did the heater core & removed the wedge.
My control does NOT move all the way to hot at this point tho.. Any ideas,,, anyone ???
Old 10-16-2003, 05:13 AM
OkeeGuy
Safety Car

Default Re: whats this "door" for? (Kevin_73)

actually the control for the hot/cold is on top of the box...
if you look at the top, right corner of the door you will see a giant zip tie...
THATS the hot/cold "switch"...permanatly set to cold...
the cable that went to the control has been removed as even tugging on it towards cold didnt activate the switch all the way...
as a matter of fact, not only did i remove that cable but the only two vac lines going to my control are the feed and the a/c (the brown one)...

i am in florida and will always live here so my heater is bypassed...
ie...no hoses from engine to core at all...
i have done the "a/c always on max" mod months ago so what i have for selections is...
off...a/c max...defog...

the LAST thing you will ever need in one of these "oven cars" in south florida is a heater...you want heat? turn off the a/c ! :yesnod:
it appears that all this door does is when its open the air goes thru the a/c ducts and when it is closed (as in the pic) it is routed to your feet and up to the windshield...
which brings up another thing i did...(pic below)
when in heater mode (which i dont have) the air is routed thru the bottom most peice of ductwork (the one at your toes)...
there is a chinsey (lousy sealing) little door that closes it off to go to defog so to make the defog airflow stronger i removed the bottom "heat" duct and that cheap azz little door and sealed it up...
last night i started laying Reflectex...heres a link to pix of that... <A HREF="http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=672194" TARGET="_blank"> http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=672194</A>
this morning i will start reinstalling the ductwork and i plan on sealing each peice to one another with silicone instead of foam tape...

[Modified by SIGNGUY, 5:15 AM 10/16/2003]
Old 10-16-2003, 06:04 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Sign, being in Jax...north Florida, I still need the heater, and so it's routed that way...and if you look at my site there, you see the controlls are al rebuilt with later model junkyard vacuum/electrical solenoids to run the dash pots in the HVAC system....but you are correct in that I did take out the 'fresh air' intake by sealing it up tight....I also put in the C4 blower mod....and yes, i'ts much better airflow...I didn't think so by comparing the two motor/fan combinations, but it's a hell of an improvement in airflow....a 3/4 inch spacer is barely enough in my case, but it works.....

there is another piece I removed some years ago...an aluminum door casting just inside the main blower box from your pix there, I never did figger what in hell it was for, except to block airflow, which improved when it was removed....go figger....

MAN, what is this blast of chilly air we got through here yesterday???
must be 50f overnight lows.....freaking winter returns....hate it...freezing my axx off....

GENE
Old 10-16-2003, 06:19 AM
OkeeGuy
Safety Car

Default Re: whats this "door" for? (mrvette)

thanx gene...ya...i also did the HO motor with the spacer...
how do i get to that alum door of which you speak?
can i do it from the inside?
like you i also sealed up the fresh air intake and removed the recirc door in the kick panel...
did you see where i stated that all i have for vac lines now is the feed and the brown one? what is your feeling on that?
i also plan on drilling some 1/2" holes in the bottom of the ducts that feed the lower a/c dash ducts so that some cool air will blow down on the feets...
i was hoping that you would see this post and give me your 2 cents worth! :yesnod:
whataya think of what ive done to the system so far and where im goin with this mod??

[Modified by SIGNGUY, 6:25 AM 10/16/2003]

[Modified by SIGNGUY, 6:40 AM 10/16/2003]
Old 10-16-2003, 06:52 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Well being down there at late Chubby, I think you are doing just fine for your climate, but up here in the frozen north, you see, I need the basic 3 positions....a/c--heat-with bit of defrost, and then defrost with bit of heat....
the heat/defrost flapper never really seals tight in either position on my car, it had a dual action/suction canister on it, but I just actuate one side, since it's spring loaded, gives me just about what I need.....
I took my driver's side duct out of the a/c system, and just let it dump in the foot well....that dash pod blows on my leg too much and I"m sensitive to that crap these daze....I dunno that changes are in the HVAC systems of the later sharks, after the interior changes, the car I did work with some years ago has faded from memory, except the constant reminder of that crappy console installation and that plactic HVAC controll that is allways broken into a dozen or more pieces, along with that plastic bezel.....GOD, what a bitch to work with...hated that damn thing....glad she finally sold the damn car so I no longer had to work on that aspect of it.....constant problems, and lack of money on her part didn't help any either....in fact there were 3 gals, a '78, and '82, and I think an '80 custom shark....all 3 gals had that lousey HVAC panel....nitemare....

I didn't even like the controlls in the early shark, so I did my own...just a few wires with the solenoids glued with RTV ona piece of wood that sits loose on top of the main blower box...vacuum lines running nice and short and neatly out of the way, and about a 1/4 inch diameter wire bundle takes care of all the BS....the temp is a flapper switch and a late model small motor with a gearbox/lever on it, fastened to the temp flapper....so I just hold the paddel switch to move the motor/flapper to the temp desired....it's from an auto temp late caddy,....junkyard once again.....

Us old junkyard mavens have it made in a certain sense, we get to do hotrodding on the CHEAP>>>>>

snicker.....

GENE

Get notified of new replies

To whats this "door" for?

Quick Reply: whats this "door" for?