C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinion on VB poly bushings

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 06:22 PM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Opinion on VB poly bushings

Just looking for the forums experience with the the graphite poly bushings from VB - looking to do the whole front end all at once - are these a good deal, or should I go Energy suspension or somebody else....

Rubber even?
Old 10-15-2003, 11:07 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Default Re: Opinion on VB poly bushings (fauxrs)

:rolleyes: Ya. I gott’m. Only drove with them installed a short while before the car broke so don’t have a lot to say abouts’m – and it’s been two years now. But yes the front-end felt nice and solid but sounded just a little squeaky over large bumps. I did think some of the new family cars out of Detroit with rack and pinion steering handled better (at least on the street) so don’t expect miracles. But they still look good where as rubber starts to rot just from age & air (ozone?). I read that poly bushings will last at least 10 times longer than the rubber stuff. Three years after purchasing my truck brand new I could see rot cracks and large compressions in the rubber bushings and swaybar cushions.
I did all the price and company comparisons before purchasing with VB but sorry can’t remember all the whys now. But I am very happy I did buy with VB - and happy it’s done too. I guess I’ll say if I didn’t have poly bushings/cushions I’d be putt’n ‘em on – front and rear. Only place rubber bushings/cushions belong I think is on the body mounts (covered with silicone) and A-arm bumpers/stops. :D
Old 10-16-2003, 12:07 AM
Ron Major
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 3,000 miles on my vette since installing the rear end kit from VB. It came with a simple flare tool for the trailing arms and an assorted arrangement of shims. The instructions with the kit said to grease the outer surface of the bushings prior to installation. I used my decision making using past posts from the forum. I did find it stiffened the rear end considerably and allowed for a mild increase in road noise. The trailing arm bushing squeaks when getting in and out of the vehicle, but it does not squeak during driving. If you decide to use poly bushings, you will enjoy the easy installation compared with the rubber and the piece of mind knowing that your work will probably last the lifetime of the vehicle.
Old 10-16-2003, 04:16 AM
rob75383
Pro

When I just bought my 'vette, and before I started to do all the work myself, I had the a-arm bushings and the steering rebuilt by a local 'vette shop.
The owner discouraged the use of poly bushings in the a-arms, claiming that they oblong after a time, and create havoc with the front end.
I since have learned that this shop was overpriced and kinda crooked, but is there any truth to the oblonging poly bushings??
Old 10-16-2003, 10:15 AM
CHEESERAL
Racer

Default Re: Opinion on VB poly bushings ('75 383 ElkGrove)

I rebuilt my entire front end last year with Vette Brakes poly kit. I'm very happy with the results. I used the grease that came with the bushings and I have no squeaks at all. Good stuff, I recommend them.

Get notified of new replies

To Opinion on VB poly bushings

Quick Reply: Opinion on VB poly bushings