C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stabbing the distributor...

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 05:39 PM
ill_driver
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stabbing the distributor...

This is my first time to stab a distrubutor and I have been following the instructions on the tools - "How to install your Chevy distributor", but I have a question. When "walking the distributor" how can you tell whether or not your rotor is aligned properly?
Thanks Karl
Old 10-15-2003, 05:56 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Stabbing the distributor... (ill_driver)

Most common way is to set the timing at tdc on the #1 intake stroke and then set the dist rotor to point at the #1 cyl. Just make sure you have your #1 plug position on the cap there too. I did the walking thing a few times but find it easier to hold the dist up so you can an idea where the oil pump slot is and then use a long screw driver to turn the pump to match. Doesn't always line up the first time but then you just pull the dist and move the pump a little with the screw driver. I actually use an oil pump prime so I don't drop the screw drive in the eng, that would suck. :cry
Old 10-15-2003, 06:40 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Stabbing the distributor... (Fevre)

Like the above.. find the number one wire.. with the engine on TDC. Don't worry about the oil pump lining up, just set the distributor so the rotor points to the number one terminal. If the distrubutor goes all the way in..... fine but if not just bump the starter a couple of times and the distributor will fall the last 1/4" and it will be correct. Then of course you will need to set the timing. Just eliminates all of the screw driver to turn the pump. It's not necessary. Just a little trick learned over the years.

[Modified by bluevetteman, 6:41 PM 10/15/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Stabbing the distributor...

Quick Reply: Stabbing the distributor...