C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

69 transmission conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 02:59 PM
t69man
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 69 transmission conversion

My 69 currently has an automatic trans and the thought has crossed my mind of swapping the whole mess out for a 4 speed this winter. A mechanic I know suggested it might be easier to find a 69 with a 4 speed that the owner is parting out and get everything from the bell housing backwards, rather then getting the parts piecemeal. If anyone has ever gone thru this conversion and could over some advice that would be most helpful. I was also concerned about having to change the rear-end to accommodate the 4 speed as well.

Thanks
Old 10-15-2003, 03:06 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: 69 transmission conversion (t69man)

I wouldn't buy a whole car just for this. You need transmission, shifter, bellhousing, flywheel, linkage, console plate, and pedals. Probably have to play with the transmission crossmember, move the mount around a little. Need a different driveshaft, but they are common. I would talk to one of the companies that part 'Vettes out about enough parts for a changover. If you can't find anyone locally, I have a friend that is in that business. Rearend does not have to change.
Old 10-15-2003, 03:11 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts

Default Re: 69 transmission conversion (markdtn)

I know where you can get the whole works for around 1,000 bucks email me..if you are interested
Old 10-15-2003, 03:15 PM
stinky
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: 69 transmission conversion (t69man)

:iagree: Many of the drivetrain parts are interchangeable btwn the different years so you shouldn't be restricted to looking for a 69 only...but still a perfect solution as fitment would be assured. The only concern for the rearend would be ratio-wise only.

[Modified by stinky, 2:15 PM 10/15/2003]
Old 10-15-2003, 05:14 PM
reidry
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: 69 transmission conversion (stinky)

I have a '69 and I'm converting to a LS1 + TKO II with hydraulic clutch, I will be selling (in a week or two) everything except the pedal assembly. My M21 was rebuilt 6500 miles previous, no leaks, good clutch. Shifter needs to be rebuilt.

All told I could sell the z-bar assembly, fork, yoke, throw out bearing, clutch, bell housing, transmission, shifter, and driveshaft.

This will be going up the the for sale forum with photos in a week or so, I intend to pull the motor/tranny this weekend. I previously had a buyer for the tranny, but that fell through.

Feel free to make me an offer if interested.

Ryan

[Modified by reidry, 10:15 PM 10/15/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To 69 transmission conversion

Quick Reply: 69 transmission conversion