C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque converter removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 09:07 AM
SharkintheWoods
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Torque converter removal

Has anyone ever removed a torque converter without removing the transmission?? I was wondering if there was enough clearance if I removed all the bellhousing bolts, replaced two of them with longer bolts and separated the transmission enough to remove the converter? Really don't want to drop the whole thing since I have no transmission jack and am not fond of doing it all on a floor jack.
Thanks...
Old 10-15-2003, 09:24 AM
RHD '68 L89
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Re: Torque converter removal (SharkintheWoods)

Unfortunately you will have to remove the transmission. The input shaft sticks out of the trans nearly all the way to the edge of the bell housing and you have to slide the converter off the shaft.
At least you can drop the cross member and now would be a good time to lash out on a trolley jack as well.
If you are just changing the converter, height of the car is not so important but if you wish to get the trans out from under the car make sure the car is high enough to clear the trans on the trolley jack. I have just had the trans out of my Bonneville and didn't get it up high enough. Had to wrestle the trans back onto the jack under the car. :nonod: Makes it hard work!

:cheers:
Old 10-15-2003, 01:36 PM
Spook
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I know the desire... Its a bust ars kinda job for not much other than pulling and pushing something new on. I wonder what it would cost to have someone do it for you. With a lift and a tranny jack shouldnt take too much time or effort. Maybe you can even just beg, borrow, steal some time from a friend somewhere for it all.

Spook
:reddevil
Old 10-15-2003, 02:37 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Yeah, you gotta drop the tranny to change the TC. I did mine with a floor jack and some blocks of wood. I put the jack under the center of the pan and added blocks until they were about 1-1/2 below the jack, then lowered the unbolted tranny down on the blocks. I then removed the jack, then I slid the blocks out one at a time until I had it setting on a single 1"x6". Then I was able to slide it out from under the car.
Jacking the car up high enough is a problem when trying to clear the torque convertor housing, but it isn't too hard if you remove the left front wheel. You can get enough clearance by going out thru there.
If all your going to do is replace the TC, then you don't have to worry about dragging it out, in fact you don't have to worry about dropping it all the way to the ground, all you have to do is get it where the tail shaft is below the crossmember then you can slide it back far enough to get the old TC out and the new TC in. Remember to pour in at least a quart of ATF inside of the TC before you slide it in place.
A good thing to do if you are going to have the tranny down is to at least replace the TC seal, it is cheap and easy to replace.

[Modified by Smokehouse69, 1:39 PM 10/15/2003]
The following users liked this post:
bigjoepos (05-29-2020)
Old 10-15-2003, 09:27 PM
joeveto
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

You don't have to remove the tranny. These guys are all wrong. But you do have to remove the engine instead. :jester

:cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Torque converter removal

Quick Reply: Torque converter removal