C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sputtering past 3k rpms

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 10:13 PM
ice pac
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sputtering past 3k rpms

Just recently my 81 has started sputtering at 3k rpms. There's also a big dead spot when I shift into 2nd. It doesn't sputter at all when I rev it in park or neutral though. Makes me wonder if it's a transmission problem. Any ideas, things to check?
Old 10-14-2003, 10:32 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Sputtering past 3k rpms (ice pac)

Ice, first thing I would check is the interenal filter in your Q jet. Doesn't it have one? You would think an inline filter will catch it all, but I have often seen that they don't. If you need a timing light to check that end you are welcome to mine.
Old 10-15-2003, 12:54 AM
ice pac
Instructor

Default Re: Sputtering past 3k rpms (LAvetteman)

I'll check that out as soon as I get a chance. Will I have to take the carb off to get to the filter? I'm really lacking tools and a place to work on it as my car is in Baton Rouge with me and I just got the basics.
Old 10-15-2003, 11:25 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

No, I doubt you will need to remove the carb. I would ask Lars the particulars on it and go from there. You gonna make it to Lafayette Saturday??
Old 10-16-2003, 04:26 AM
rob75383
Pro

...just in case, I thought I'd mention this-
I had some problems with my old 350 motor with higher RPM's.
It all stemmed from a broken intake valve spring.
It took 2 differant mechanics, and two differant machine shops to figure out where my lack of power and the backfires came from.
Finally, someone found a broken #3 intake spring, and also found that the head was cracked beyond repair from driving it with the bad spring for about two weeks.
You didn't mention backfiring, but still, you might want to pull the rocker covers off, and inspect the springs, or look for debris in the heads.
I spent a good amount of money chasing down the problem, without a good diagnosis, and throwing parts at a problem isn't the way to fix things.

Check all you're bases, and speak to as many reputable people as you can, and try to keep her in the garage 'till you can figure what the problem is.
I guarentee you will save money by a correct diagnosis of the problem.
Old 10-16-2003, 05:00 AM
bertmeister
Pro

No need to remove the Carb to change the filter. All you need is a 1 inch and I believe a 5/8 inch wrench.
Old 10-16-2003, 09:02 AM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

If you need some tools just let me know you can borrow what you need. I think bertmeister is right on the sizes if I recall. There is no need to pull the carb to check the fuel filter. I also have a spark plug socket if you want to look at those. I will be around a little while on Friday, but I am heading back to New Orleans that afternoon to check on my car. The guy started painting it and I want to see how the color looks. The description my dad gave made it sound like a pea green color for steel cities grey. I will also try and get a few pics to post.
Old 10-16-2003, 04:35 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Sputtering past 3k rpms (Sigforty)

If you need some tools just let me know you can borrow what you need. I think bertmeister is right on the sizes if I recall. There is no need to pull the carb to check the fuel filter. I also have a spark plug socket if you want to look at those. I will be around a little while on Friday, but I am heading back to New Orleans that afternoon to check on my car. The guy started painting it and I want to see how the color looks. The description my dad gave made it sound like a pea green color for steel cities grey. I will also try and get a few pics to post.
:lol: Base coat looks awful strange without clear on it, Light pewter looks like bronze or gold without clear on it....

Get notified of new replies

To Sputtering past 3k rpms

Quick Reply: Sputtering past 3k rpms