C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T-top question - please help!

Old 10-14-2003, 08:36 PM
dlsz28
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-top question - please help!

Hey guys,
I've got an 81 vette. It is in desparate need of new t-top weatherstripping. What is the best way to disassemble the t-top to replace the weatherstripping? Please go into detail as I do not want to screw up and crack or chip the glass.
Thanks,
Dusty
Old 10-14-2003, 10:09 PM
ddecart
Team Owner

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
SPARTAN
CI 3-4-5-6-8-9-10 Vet
CI-9 AutoX Winner
CI-3 Go Kart Champ
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Default Re: T-top question - please help! (dlsz28)

Welcome to the forum! I haven't done this, but I'm sure someone here has. Hang tight and someone with some info should reply before too long.

:cheers:
Old 10-15-2003, 02:38 PM
jrzvette
Safety Car

Location: The reason time exists is so everything doesn't happen at once
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: T-top question - please help! (dlsz28)

The only disassembly is to remove the inner panels. These are held in place with heavy duty plastic velcro-like fasteners. The latching hardware can be unbolted (make a note of where any shims are located), if necessary.
The weatherstripping is held in place with adhesive and plastic pins. Be careful not to break off any of these pins or it will live and rattle around inside the top forever.
Once the old stripping is removed, clean the surface well with 3M adhesive cleaner. Then its simply a matter of lining up the pins with the holes and putting down a bead of sealant. Once the new weather stripping is in place, carefully put the tops back on the car and latch them down until the adhesive set.

Get notified of new replies

To T-top question - please help!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: T-top question - please help!