C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power steering hoses

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 06:40 PM
red topless gator
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 77 Posts

Default power steering hoses

Just found a split in one of my power steering hoses. Its the one that comes from the unit. Is there much involved in changing these? First time, just learning. Dont know what the procedure is, draining, bleeding, etc. any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks..........LT :crazy:
Old 10-14-2003, 07:18 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: power steering hoses (ltinnell)

Not a big job at all. Replace both hoses while your at it. Try and get as much of the old fluid out as possible. Rum the ram back and forth and try to drain the pump. Put on new hoses and fill the system. Turn over the motor without it starting for a few seconds and check the level. Fill as needed. Fire it up for a few seconds and shut it off and check level and let it stand to get out air bubbles. Keep doing this and then turn the wheels back and forth. I do it with the wheels off the ground to put less strain on the pump and it seems to get less foaming this way. It will probably look like a milkshake in the pump. Just let it sit for a while until the bubbles go away. Keep doing this until you a re satisfied. Go for a test drive and you should be good to go.
Old 10-14-2003, 07:23 PM
jpatrick636
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just let the fluid drain into a container. Be careful, as it will be under pressure. After the new hose(s) fill the reservior with new fluid and with the motor running move the stearing wheel back and forth a few times. Recheck the fluid level. There is no need to bleed the system as it is an open system. Any air should work it's way into the pump and dissapate. After driving the first time, check the level again. :smash:
Old 10-14-2003, 09:05 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: power steering hoses (jpatrick636)

I have found that working the steering system lock to lock a dozen times before starting the engine will work most of the air out of the system. Refill to the cold mark on the pump reservoir capstick. Now when you start up, there will be a lot less foaming of the oil.

Also I recommend that you refill with genuine GM power steering fluid. This fluid is available at any GM dealer under part number 89020661.

Good luck,
Jim
Old 10-14-2003, 09:19 PM
mcmac73
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

:iagree: Just remember, it's a C3 if one is gone the rest are probably due, (its messy when they go) they sell a kit with all the hoses, good luck :cheers:
Old 10-14-2003, 09:37 PM
gmcclurg
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: power steering hoses (mcmac73)

When you have the old hoses off, you might weant to flush the pump out by pouring some fluid in and letting it run out. Mine had a bunch of crud in it.
Old 10-14-2003, 10:58 PM
red topless gator
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 77 Posts

Thanks to everyone for your input, Im going to replace them all just to be on the safe side. There are only 22,000 original miles on my car, but it had been sitting for some time ...............LT :seeya

Get notified of new replies

To power steering hoses

Quick Reply: power steering hoses