C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear spring ?

Old 10-14-2003, 06:06 PM
Diamondback
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear spring ?

I just got an 80 vette, and the rear spring dose'nt look good. The three top springs have twisted. It looks like someone put a screw clamp on them to hold them in place. It did'nt work , because the clamp is just hanging there and the whole spring is out of order. Any thoughts, as to how this might have happened , or how to fix it ? Thanks

[Modified by Diamondback, 7:16 PM 10/14/2003]
Old 10-14-2003, 10:09 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Rear spring ? (Diamondback)

Buy a new spring.

They are around $110 for std steel and $140 for Gymkhana suspension steel or $300 for fiberglass. It better that having up break up on you and causing who knows what $$$ in damage.

Brent....
Old 10-16-2003, 06:16 PM
Diamondback
8th Gear

I dont think mine are that bad. I well try and explain a bit better......There are around 7 leafsprings ( in order...good alignment ).....and the top three look like they are not aligned with the botom 7 . I dont think anything is broken...i am trying to find out if i could loosen the 4 bolts , and knock them back in alignment? And how are they designed to stay there once you get them aligned....just the 4 bolts?? Still really curious as to how this might have happened....does that mean the guy i just bought it from was really romping on the gas pedal...or maybe do'en dougnuts ?? :skep:
Old 10-16-2003, 07:00 PM
FeedVaal
Burning Brakes

Check the width of the spring. Through '77 is 2.25, later years are 2.5. Maybe Bubba put in the wrong spring allowing it to twist.
Old 10-16-2003, 07:33 PM
ddecart
Team Owner

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
SPARTAN
CI 3-4-5-6-8-9-10 Vet
CI-9 AutoX Winner
CI-3 Go Kart Champ
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Are they like the spring on the left that Ed posted? The top 3 leafs are more or less straight across and don't contact the other leafs. This spring is supposed to be that way. :yesnod:

Like this one?

[Modified by ddecart, 7:37 PM 10/16/2003]
Old 10-17-2003, 08:41 AM
Diamondback
8th Gear

Thanks for the sizeing feedvaal...i didnt know that. Mine did'nt look as bad as ed-t's pics. dde cart's pic makes me think that someone put the three top springs upside down. Is that possible ? Picture this....take the three top springs and grab ahold of them and just twist about 5 inches...another thing is that they dont stick up like that on the ends...they are flat on top of the other springs.Is that because it is still on the car ? Thanks for the help. I well try to get a pic...it would be easyer than trying to explain...thanks again.
Old 10-17-2003, 11:12 AM
vetteonr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To me, if there's anything funny looking about the rear spring, replace it. I just did mine and it's not that big of a job. Just be sure to get all new hardware also. If this is your first vette, welcome to a unique club. :seeya

Get notified of new replies

To Rear spring ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear spring ?