C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bubba'd Hood Surround!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 04:59 PM
81silverbullet
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bubba'd Hood Surround!!

I just bought my vette a few months ago and I continue to find evidence of Bubba. First, I determine that the engine for my 1981 is from a 1978. No big deal I say, it isn't a show car anyway. Then after I fix vacuum problems, I see that the LF headlight is out of alignment. I get under and really start looking at things, and that's when I see that the LF corner of the hood surround has been replaced. Not the whole surround, just this part. And it was Bubba'd real good. The metal headlight support was not even secured. I have tried a few times to get this corrected, but something must be missaligned, as the LF headlight will not bolt in properly. A repair shop that only works on vettes quoted me $6,600 to repair this. Replace the whole surround, the LF fender, the front bumber and paint the front end. :cry :cry :cry I don't think this is something that I can tackle, so I don't have many options here. Any thoughts? Is this something that is doable by the average garage monkey?

Again, all inputs are welcome.

Steve

[Modified by 81silverbullet, 8:14 PM 10/14/2003]
Old 10-14-2003, 05:06 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Default Re: Bubba'd Hood Surround!! (81silverbullet)

My first thought is to ask you for the name of your insurance co. I would like to pass along this info to them. :nono:
Old 10-14-2003, 05:15 PM
BigBadRed
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Bubba'd Hood Surround!! (Mr D.)

THere is no greater source of info then right here for what you are talking about. It seems with patience and time, it MIGHT not be to big of a job, but do a search and you will find more then a few here that have replaced their fronts. I am also interested because I think bubba put the front on my 68 and may have to do it as well.
Old 10-14-2003, 05:48 PM
red topless gator
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 77 Posts

Default Re: Bubba'd Hood Surround!! (81silverbullet)

Dont commit FRAUD, its not worth it! :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:
Old 10-14-2003, 06:09 PM
80Xflags
Pro

Default Re: Bubba'd Hood Surround!! (ltinnell)

Dont commit FRAUD, its not worth it! :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:
:iagree:

Fraud is part of the reason insurance rates so frickin' high in states like mine. :mad :mad :mad :mad DON'T COMMIT FRAUD! Learn how to fix things, take your time, save up money, but just don't resort to fraud. I found a lot of things wrong with my car after I started looking at it where I said to myself "Geez, if I knew that was wrong, I wouldn't have bought it . . . " Stick it out, this forum is one of the best places to get help.

Goodluck,
Matt
Old 10-14-2003, 06:21 PM
Stewart's74
Safety Car

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Re: Bubba'd Hood Surround!! (80Xflags)

Are you referring to the metal hood surround that the headlight supports are bolted to?
If so, you can easily replace the entire surround by yourself. I did mine in less than a weekend.
The surround costs $75 @ most vendors. Adhesive is less than $35.
Old 10-14-2003, 07:45 PM
PROSOUTH
Drifting

Location: Manchester, Dead Center in the Middle of TN 25 miles to Jack Daniels,10 miles to Geo Dickle, and .8 mile from the Liquor Store at I-24 Exit 114
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Bubba'd Hood Surround!! (Stewart's74)

If it looked good enough for you to purchase it, it must look good enough to drive, if it looks good enough to drive then DRIVE IT!!!!!.

You can fix the headlight or work around what problems you have and fix it somehow.

At worst you can trade it off and pay that 6K toward a much better car. JIM
Old 10-14-2003, 07:59 PM
buchinsd
Heel & Toe

Default Re: Bubba'd Hood Surround!! (80Xflags)

Thanks for the support everyone. I know that claiming this Bubba job with insurance is not the moral thing to do and I won't do it. It's going to help having this forum to turn to for help and support. It's just so depressing finding these things out. But then, that's what I get for jumping into something before doing my due dilligence. Thanks for putting me back on the right track!
Old 10-14-2003, 08:07 PM
buchinsd
Heel & Toe

Stewart,

I think I am speaking of the same metal surround. It is the piece that the headlight supports are bolted to. The Corvette mechanic told me that it was fabricated into the hood surround. Mine is there, it's just separated from the hood surround. It doesn't appear bent or anything, but I can't get the headlight bolts to mesh properly, as if the metal support is too far to the rear. Does the whole hood surround have to come off to fix this? Should I remove the bumper as well, to get the whole picture? Thanks for the help.

Steve
Old 10-15-2003, 02:51 PM
Stewart's74
Safety Car

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Re: Bubba'd Hood Surround!! (buchinsd)

My hood surround was really rusty which caused the headlights to bind on the body.
I removed both headlight housings by removing the lower valance and dropping them down and out from under the car.
Then I used a putty knife and pryed the old surround off from the body. I purchased a new surround from Bairs for $75 and was instructed to use a 3M product to bond it to the body ( I cant remember its part #) Send an e-mail to Brian at Bairs. http://www.bairs.com.
I then mase sure it was in the proper position by doing some test fittings and marked its spot with a sharpie.
Bonded it in with the 3M goop and clamped it in place for 24 hours. Bolted the lights back in and I was in business. They work perfectly now.
I think you should not go back to that Vette shop. He's awfully expensive!
Tag me back w/ an e-mail if you need more help.

Stew
Old 10-15-2003, 04:18 PM
81silverbullet
Heel & Toe

Stew,

Thanks for the link. This definitely seems like the road to take rather than replacing the entire hood surround (~$900). And hopefully if I don't mess up too bad, I won't have to do any painting. :D :D I'll give them a call and let you know if I need any pointers.

Thanks,

Steve

Get notified of new replies

To Bubba'd Hood Surround!!

Quick Reply: Bubba'd Hood Surround!!