C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lights Popping up?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 04:58 PM
Lt1er
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lights Popping up?

Here's the problem and what's the solution?

I fired up my car to drive it and the lights opened up and when I got to where I was going I had to manually close them. Then they just come up again.

So being a bright guy I ran a 12 inch length of hose straight across eliminating the under the dash switch and that would cause them to close. But never open when you pull the light switch. The lights do come on whether up or down.

:confused: It's got me even after reading the manual.
Old 10-14-2003, 05:19 PM
TOM B1
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: Lights Popping up? (Lt1er)

When doing my 68 vette, (caught fire and burnt through dash and motor)
I had to replace all of that stuff. First you have a vacuum leak somewhere, I know, you know that. If your vacuum res. goes empty when the car sets your lights will pop up then go down when you have vacuum. 1, Check the vacuum 1way valve inline just off your manifold main line, some years are at different places, most are a small metal canaster. next if you have a vacuum tester, hook it up to each headlight door to see if they hold steady. Check your vacuum canaster for rust or just a leak in the same way, takes time but you will find it. Hope this helps. :steering: [IMG]

[Modified by TOM B1, 10:20 PM 10/14/2003]
Old 10-14-2003, 06:16 PM
Lt1er
Drifting

Default Re: Lights Popping up? (TOM B1)

Right off the one way valve on the back of the intake manifold the tube goes through the dash and to that hold the lights up switch. From that switch it goes back throught the firewall on its way to the pipe vacuum reserve canister.

I fire up the motor and the lights pop up.

If I get under the hood with the motor still running and jumper across from the one way valve to the line running forward the canister the lights go down. But they also will not reopen if I turn on the light switch.

So is that telling me that I have a leak probably on the drivers side of the fire wall? :confused:
Old 10-15-2003, 03:06 PM
Lt1er
Drifting

does anyone else have the possible answer?
Old 10-15-2003, 09:08 PM
79VetteGirl
Instructor

I have a similar problem. :rolleyes: When I turn my engine off the drivers side headlight pops up. If I turn the headlights on and then off before I turn the engine off the headlight will stay down. :crazy: Go figure :skep:

;-*

Get notified of new replies

To Lights Popping up?

Quick Reply: Lights Popping up?