C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update on driveshaft loops

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 04:29 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Default Update on driveshaft loops

Just talked to the fabricator that is building the driveshaft loops. There were some delays due to him getting married... I told him that was no excuse and he's a slacker. :lol:

The loops are now built and are off for the hard anodizing. He said he got a better price by having them done with another batch so the color is more of a chrome/blueish look. Not quite sure about the exact color but pics are coming. They are due back to him on friday and he promised pictures of the kit (including mounting HW) as well as some pics of one installed. I'll post as soon as I receive the pictures.

He said they have a new design that is more adjustable than the old one. It accomodates different tailshaft heights, and is installed without removing the driveshaft. Only modification to the car is drilling of a few 3/8" holes in the crossmember for the mounting bolts.
Old 10-14-2003, 04:44 PM
Lt1er
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Update on driveshaft loops (zwede)

I was looking for something out on http://www.tomsdifferential.com I came across the half shaft loops and it sure looks like what norval and a few of those guys were refering to as their 6 link setups.

Are you doing this for NHRA rules? This is just a question because I don't have an NHRA rule book.

How long does a drive shaft have to be before it needs a loop? Local rear engine dragsters have short drive shafts without loops.
Old 10-14-2003, 05:00 PM
1979toy
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Update on driveshaft loops (Lt1er)

Running slicks requires a driveshaft loop. I'm not sure if there is an E.T. limit too.
Old 10-14-2003, 05:06 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

These somewhat resemble the halfshaft loops on Toms, but they are mounted to the tranny crossmember and the loop goes around the front of the driveshaft (Tom's appear to go around the middle of the halfshafts).

The fabricator is an avid dragracer and says he built them to comply with NHRA specs.

I don't know how long the shaft needs to be before NHRA requires a loop. I always heard that any car going faster than a certain ET needs one. Personally I'd just feel better with a loop as the fiberglass floor on the early C3 isn't going to slow down the shaft much if it comes loose.
Old 10-14-2003, 05:09 PM
Lt1er
Drifting

Hey, When you get it done could you put some follow up pictures of what yours looks like.
Old 10-14-2003, 05:14 PM
bhmyers
Racer

think that rearend will hold up with slicks?
Old 10-14-2003, 05:15 PM
cruea79454
Intermediate

In my 79 i broke my yolk off on the rear of the drive shaft. It made some good size holes in the fiberglass floor in the back. so we had a 3 inch drive shaft made and i hope it dont brake. We make a metal loop and screwed it to the floor when there rear end is so if it happens again then it wont screw up the floor any more :leaving:
Old 10-14-2003, 05:15 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Sounds good. Keep me posted. :thumbs:
Old 10-15-2003, 06:56 AM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Update on driveshaft loops (1970 Stingray)

Sounds good. Keep me posted. :thumbs:
:iagree: :lurk:

Get notified of new replies

To Update on driveshaft loops

Quick Reply: Update on driveshaft loops