C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad day! Rear wheel U joint blew up and trashed axle and wheel yoke. HELP

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 04:27 PM
Marc80
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad day! Rear wheel U joint blew up and trashed axle and wheel yoke. HELP

I am shopping for parts but am worried that the parts are not strong enough and I should be looking for some other options. What do you think. I am getting 280 rear wheel horsepower. I suspect the U joint or the retainers failed and it blew apart ....what a PITA-it is always something. Anyway, I guess I should be glad. It felt like the transmission fell out. I have to replace the axle shaft, rear wheel yoke and the shock ...and all the retainers. Are there any stronger parts besides stock?
Old 10-14-2003, 04:51 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Bad day! Rear wheel U joint blew up and trashed axle and wheel yoke. HELP (Marc80)

Use only spicer non-greasable U-joints. Half shafts are very demanding on U joints so do not try to save a few bucks there.
Old 10-14-2003, 05:10 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Default Re: Bad day! Rear wheel U joint blew up and trashed axle and wheel yoke. HELP (Marc80)

Get the big-block yokes as they use U-joint caps instead of straps. I'm using bruteforce U-joints and haven't had any problems with 390rwhp, 440 rwtq.

Get notified of new replies

To Bad day! Rear wheel U joint blew up and trashed axle and wheel yoke. HELP

Quick Reply: Bad day! Rear wheel U joint blew up and trashed axle and wheel yoke. HELP