C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WHat can you get for.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 12:28 PM
Madmikeee
Team Owner

Location: Sometimes I wonder... why is that frisbee getting bigger? Then it hits me.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Default WHat can you get for.....

Hey all. I am kind of half arsed looking right now for a 68-72 and am looking to get some information together before I start getting REALLY down to business in my search.

I will be looking for a 68-72 for under 10k (the more under the better!) Yes I know this means a little work will be needed plus I am will only be looking for a driver quality car. I am not **** about numbers matching (although it would be nice) and other minor things like that, however I do not want the car to be hacked to death with body mods or things like that. I have the abilty and access to the equipment and space needed (on a temporary basis) to do body work and interior. I do NOT have the space for a complete frame off

What is the potential for finding a car that , for example, is like this:

Driveline and suspension relativly fresh, Frame and birdcage in very good condition Body and interior need work for say between 6-7k

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? Lude remarks? :D :cheers:

BTW I am a little leary of the 68 year due to it's limited parts supply but I would not deny one just for that fact.

[Modified by Madmikeee, 12:30 PM 10/14/2003]
Old 10-14-2003, 01:25 PM
Madmikeee
Team Owner

Location: Sometimes I wonder... why is that frisbee getting bigger? Then it hits me.
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Re: WHat can you get for..... (Madmikeee)

anyone?

See3er, ya want to donate your car to me? ;) :lol: :jester
Old 10-14-2003, 01:35 PM
Guru_4_hire
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Drive around probably see one or 2 for sale on the side of the road. When I went to my parents place this past spring I saw 4 for sale 3 of which were under 10K.

Deals are out there, just have to look.

[Modified by Guru_4_hire, 1:36 PM 10/14/2003]
Old 10-14-2003, 01:41 PM
Madmikeee
Team Owner

Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Re: WHat can you get for..... (Guru_4_hire)

Too bad the deals aren't anywhere I look :lol:
Old 10-14-2003, 01:46 PM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Received 161 Likes on 49 Posts

Keep an eye on the TRADER magazines that you can pic up at the gas station. The closer to Xmas the more you will see appear. I got mine for $4500 and had a fresh 350 and tranie in it. However the rest of the car needed a lot of work. Ide finately would not have considered mine a driver when I got it. BUt 6-7k should get you a decent coupe.
Old 10-14-2003, 01:51 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

What you need is to find someone motivated to sell and you just happen to be there at the right time. In that case you can easily find what you are looking for. The owner of the shop that inspected my '71 has a '72 Yellow 454 Coupe sitting out front every morning that he picked up for $4000 and it is in really great shape. The seller needed cash urgently as he was on his way to prison for quite a long time. Look around.... make some offers.... who knows who might be motivated to sell that day. For $6K-$7K you could probably expect all kinds of different scenarios. Good body with engine needing rebuilt... good driveline and body work & interior needing to be done... etc. So, yes, it's possible to find what you are looking for.

It's like going to the store hungry.... you are going to pay too much when you are drooling. :cheers:
Old 10-14-2003, 01:54 PM
72GACRZR
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Why not put $5K more on it and buy Rick's, if its still for sale?
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=633120
Old 10-14-2003, 02:16 PM
Madmikeee
Team Owner

Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Re: WHat can you get for..... (72GACRZR)

If I had 15k I already know the vette I would buy. I am stuck in a budget, I have a house to pay for a newborn son and can only go so far for the next project. TRUST me I wish I had 15k to spend.
Old 10-14-2003, 02:18 PM
Guru_4_hire
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Patience young skywalker. :jester
Old 10-14-2003, 02:21 PM
Fevre
Race Director

If I had 15k I already know the vette I would buy. I am stuck in a budget, I have a house to pay for a newborn son and can only go so far for the next project. TRUST me I wish I had 15k to spend.
Picked the wrong hobby to enforce a budget. :D
Old 10-14-2003, 02:31 PM
Madmikeee
Team Owner

Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Re: WHat can you get for..... (Fevre)

Picked the wrong hobby to enforce a budget. :D
Ya well I can sacrafice a little as I have the ability to do Paint, Body, interior and things of that nature. That way I can invest some time and cash into it slowly and get the desired results, but I really wish I had the extra cash to just buy what I want.. Maybe someday I'll be rich :)
Old 10-14-2003, 04:38 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 143 Likes on 126 Posts

The bumper cars for much under 10k are for the most part junk I would not want to mess with :leaving:
Old 10-14-2003, 04:54 PM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also, keep an eye on eBay for auctions near you. Go take a look at the car firsthand. When I was shoppin, there was a 72 big-block coupe on eBay that was in the next suburb over from me. Owner would have stopped the auction if I had wanted it and it wasn't a bad price. Only problem was, it was an auto and I was lookin for a 4-speed.

Brett :thumbs:
Old 10-15-2003, 12:10 AM
72GACRZR
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: WHat can you get for..... (Brettmc)

Here's one here on the forum.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=671478

:seeya
Old 10-15-2003, 12:21 AM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

Default Re: WHat can you get for..... (72GACRZR)

Don't be afraid of the '68, many people who discredit it know nothing about the year. They merely go by "what they've heard". :rolleyes:

Best of Luck :thumbs:
Old 10-15-2003, 08:31 AM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Received 161 Likes on 49 Posts

I'm in that boat with ya. I have 2 kids 4 & 2. I have done all my paint and body, interior, suspension and will be doing the drive train myself as well. Only thing I amgoing to farm out is the vertible top. You can build the car you want on a budget. Just depends on how long you are willing to stretch it out. Mine is in it's third year but I am really starting to see things come together. Look at it this way when you get home from a hard days work and the wife is stressed :mad and the baby is :cry That Vette in the garage is great therapy :thumbs:

Wade
Old 10-15-2003, 09:23 AM
Madmikeee
Team Owner

Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Re: WHat can you get for..... (BlackRat)

I'm in that boat with ya. I have 2 kids 4 & 2. I have done all my paint and body, interior, suspension and will be doing the drive train myself as well. Only thing I amgoing to farm out is the vertible top. You can build the car you want on a budget. Just depends on how long you are willing to stretch it out. Mine is in it's third year but I am really starting to see things come together. Look at it this way when you get home from a hard days work and the wife is stressed :mad and the baby is :cry That Vette in the garage is great therapy :thumbs:

Wade
EXACTLY!.. I want something that I can fix up and drive around , maybe make a few passes on the track. Then during the winter months get down and dirty doing a little at a time.

Get notified of new replies

To WHat can you get for.....

Old 10-15-2003, 10:56 AM
geopar
Melting Slicks

I may have just the Vette for you . '72 convertible , blue/black ,auto (mild shift kit - freshly rebuilt---better at the track than the 4 speed imo) , p/s , p/b , t/t , p/w , vinyl hard top (Black) , soft top (needs canvas) , alarm . Has been frame off , work includes : clean and paint rust free frame , new suspension bushings , springs , etc. , rebuilt t/a assemblies , replaced fuel tank , new body mounts , new s/s brakes , rotors , lines , etc. ., rechromed bumpers , correct ralleys w/new high performance tires . Engine is correct matching numbers , rebuilt to LT1 specs internally(very strong-- and looks exactly as original--has the original lower HP intake and carb), all shielding , correct dist. etc. , etc.) . 2 owner car , have all service records since new , do not have tank sticker . Needs paint , small ammount of fiber glass work to rear tail light panel/rear deck , and a little work on front valance area ( car was tapped lightly from the rear while in was in the garage and the front hit a tool box ----top surround not injured -- damage limited to the lower areas and one small fender crack ( will send photos --of course ) if you're interested in this car . Needs carpet (front only ?) , seats , door panels , all interior trim very nice . Has add on air conditioning which works great , but the blower assembly was mounted behind the seats (hung under the rear deck) , hence the soft cannot be down . Someone would need to remove this set up and/or install the correct interior/under dash a/c components to use the soft top/a/c set up . I have most if not all of these components if the buyer wanted to go that way . This is a very nice Vette that has had a great ammount of work done to it . Needs some more time and money , but will be worth it when finished . I was going to finish this , but have too many irons in the fire . This is not the cheapest "project" out there , but with the work that has been done , the originality , and being a convertible , I think I would like to get close to $10,000.00 for this . This may sound high to someone who had to "farm out" the paint/body work , but to someone who has those skills and the time , I think you can do the numbers and realize that this is going to be one great Vette at a good price . I welcome other Forum members to comment on this discussion concerning value , and welcome others to e mail me for photos , info , etc. . George 830 885 4020 or cell 210 213 7004
Old 10-15-2003, 01:09 PM
Madmikeee
Team Owner

Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Re: WHat can you get for..... (geopar)

hmmm that is a pretty good deal man. But at this time I am still sorting out how much money I have to spend. Lemme check the finances and get back to you in a day or two.

:cheers:
Old 10-16-2003, 07:31 AM
geopar
Melting Slicks

Let me know if your're interested , and I'll send some pics . Geo

Quick Reply: WHat can you get for.....