C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice for installing Camaro 5sp in a 69 vette

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 11:24 AM
1969vette
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice for installing Camaro 5sp in a 69 vette

I have a 69 vette with the M21 4 speed but would like to install a T-5 5 speed from a early 90's Camaro. Is it a direct install or is there adapter plate, cross member or other modifications required? How can I convert the hyd clutch to the cars mechanical type.
Old 10-14-2003, 11:38 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Need advice for installing Camaro 5sp in a 69 vette (1969vette)

Search on t5 or t-5 for more info but here are the highlights:

You can bolt the trans to your stock bellhousing but the trans mount will be rotated 18 degrees so a new bracket needs to be fabbed and the shifter will be off requiring the trans tunnel to be cut, you'll have to decide whether you want to shifter in the stock postion, if so you will need to fab something to get the shifter to stick out the stock hole (some pics when searching on t5/t-5 will appear) or you can cut the console shift plate and use a diff boot. The hyd clutch slave cyl bracket on the t-5 bellhousing will hit the firewall area so unless you want to really modify either you can't use the t-5 bellhousing, I know because I mocked it up, I have a t-5 to put in my 73 in the future if I don't decide to get a Keisler Tremec. Also the t-5 bellhousing is small so you can't use the stock flywheel or clutch, another reason not to use it. You can get a hyd clutch bellhousing from a GM truck, forum member Norval is using one. You have to shorten the drive shaft too. The stock speedo adaptor fits the t-5 with some bracket modification.

Think I'll cut and past this blurp for future use. :)
Old 10-14-2003, 02:49 PM
Garys '68
Racer

Default Re: Need advice for installing Camaro 5sp in a 69 vette (Fevre)

Fevre,
I read your response regarding the slave cylinder. Did you consider using a Howe throwout bearing. It's got the hydraulics and throwout bearing all in one piece inside the tranny. Check out Summit, thay have them online.
Btw, I'm planning on using a T-5 with slanted bell housing, Norals 1 ton master cylinder, Howe throwout bearing, and fabricate the tranny bracket and driveshaft.
Gary
Old 10-14-2003, 03:07 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: Need advice for installing Camaro 5sp in a 69 vette (Garys '68)

Fevre,
I read your response regarding the slave cylinder. Did you consider using a Howe throwout bearing. It's got the hydraulics and throwout bearing all in one piece inside the tranny. Check out Summit, thay have them online.
Btw, I'm planning on using a T-5 with slanted bell housing, Norals 1 ton master cylinder, Howe throwout bearing, and fabricate the tranny bracket and driveshaft.
Gary
Have thought about that one too, the t-5 bellhousing is too small to use with my flywheel and 11" centerforce clutch, tried during my mock up. I am thinking of making a spherical rod end clutch set up like outlined here:

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...878/index.html

If you have a desire to upgrade the t-5 internals check this site out:

http://www.g-forcetransmissions.com/.../yellowbar.gif
Old 10-14-2003, 03:27 PM
Garys '68
Racer

I expect the flywheels are the same, but is the centerforce clutch that much larger than the stock chevy (T-5, camaro) clutch?
Gary
Old 10-14-2003, 03:31 PM
Fevre
Race Director

I expect the flywheels are the same, but is the centerforce clutch that much larger than the stock chevy (T-5, camaro) clutch?
Gary
I don't think the flywheel fit either but I don't recall off the top of my head. I have a 350 shortblock, stock vette flywheel (stroker required a ext balanced one) and t-5 bellhousing in my garage so I can slap em together and check for you this weekend if you like.

[Modified by Fevre, 3:32 PM 10/14/2003]
Old 10-14-2003, 03:52 PM
Garys '68
Racer

hmmmm, interesting. It may be the aftermarket flywheel, but that still has to fit with the small block starter. I didn't think there would be too many differences on small block (305 vs 350) flywheels.
I could imagine an aftermarket clutch housing may not fit though if it was for the muncie rather than for the T-5.
Gary
Old 10-14-2003, 05:19 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 387 Likes on 235 Posts

Just becareful with dumping the clutch or power shifting that T-5. GM NEVER installed a T-5 behind the 350, only the 305. The T-5 was too weak to handle the torque of the 350. So if you wanted a 5 speed you purcahsed the 305, if you wanted the 350 you were stuck with the 700R4.

:cheers:
Old 10-14-2003, 05:46 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: Need advice for installing Camaro 5sp in a 69 vette (Corey 68)

Just becareful with dumping the clutch or power shifting that T-5. GM NEVER installed a T-5 behind the 350, only the 305. The T-5 was too weak to handle the torque of the 350. So if you wanted a 5 speed you purcahsed the 305, if you wanted the 350 you were stuck with the 700R4.

:cheers:
I think there is a bit of the old wives tale to that, why would Borg Warner redesign them stronger, aka World Class T-5, and not make it strong enough for the 350? Has to be something more/else to it.

Get notified of new replies

To Need advice for installing Camaro 5sp in a 69 vette

Quick Reply: Need advice for installing Camaro 5sp in a 69 vette