C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My mechanic says she's running rich, how do I adjust my Q-jet???

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 02:10 AM
sharkthehunter77
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My mechanic says she's running rich, how do I adjust my Q-jet???

OK, so i had my car over at the hotrod performance shop today( same guys who dropped my ZZ4 in ) and he says i'm runnign a little rich. I am going to have the acr tuned in 2 weeks but this is also a perfect opertunity to learn a little about adjusting the Q carb! So, alli know is theres a scerw on the thing you use to adjust the leaness and richness of the mixture. How is this done? I may give it a try based on difficulty and probabilty of scerwing something up big time. Unfortunetly she also leaking a bit so i see a new carb may be in order in the future. Any suggestions?
Old 10-14-2003, 08:33 AM
JB
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: My mechanic says she's running rich, how do I adjust my Q-jet??? (sharkthehunter77)

Don't ditch the qjet yet. They're not all that difficult to do a basic rebuild on, and while it's a little of a hassle to adjust the mixture, it's not hard. Buy a "carb kit" for your qjet at a parts store, put the carb on a bench on a big towel (keeps small parts from rolling around), and follow the numbers on the instructions in the kit. Shouldn't take you more than an hour or two.

For the leaner mix, you have to replace your metering rods and/or jets. Everything you'll need to know about choosing the right combo is in Lars' carb tuning paper at http://www.corvettefaq.com .

Good luck--it's actually kind of fun to pop open a carb and start fiddling around, and as long as you're reasonably careful with following the disassembly/reassembly order so all the little parts get back in & you take the time to accurately set the float, idle mixture, etc., there's not a hell of a lot you could screw up.

JB

[Modified by JB, 7:42 AM 10/14/2003]

Quick Reply: My mechanic says she's running rich, how do I adjust my Q-jet???