C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New invention, Ground to fiberglass bodies

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 09:44 PM
pillowmeto
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New invention, Ground to fiberglass bodies

Ok so I go to the grocery store after class today and end up in the magazine isle looking at car magizines. Well i buy Chevy Rumble cause it looked good this month. In thier article 75 tech info & fun tips they have a kit designed ground eltrical systems for fiber glass cars. Ill type the article below.

**QUOTE**

66 Glassing around

For modified Corvettes in need of new wiring or any fiberglass-bodied rod, items grounded to 'glass simlpy will not work. Grounds must be metal-to-metal. One simple way is to use the new "buss-type" grounding kit designed by Ron Francis Wire Works. It is an integral system from which all assessory wires be more simply and adequately grounded. There's a lot tp this, so call 800/292-1940 for all necessary tech info. You will save lots of trouble running down eletrical connection problems at a later date.

page 58 October/november Chevy Rumble

I dont know if people know about these much yet but i havent seen anything about them and thought id post this casue it would sove alot of future headaches with many of us. It has a picture of the setup and ill try to describe it.
a wire runs from the battery to the starter, then to a small circiut mounted i nthe front of the car, then to a circut in the interior of the car, then a module in the rear of the car, and back to the battery making a big loop. The article has a numbe rof good ideas, some of which are common knowledge among us, like hydro boosting from an older diseal truck.

well i hope this helps some of you guys.

MAtt
Old 10-14-2003, 02:28 AM
pillowmeto
Le Mans Master

Default Re: New invention, Ground to fiberglass bodies (pillowmeto)

So is this something new or have people here herad of it, i know ill get one once i work my car up a bit, it would be nice to have a correctly functioning radio.

MAtt
Old 10-14-2003, 02:33 AM
Corz
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

i dunno.. sounds like BS to me
Old 10-14-2003, 07:37 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Basically all it is is a grounding block that attaches to the body. One line runs to a chassis ground or back to the battery and then there's connections for all the grounds that go to it. Nothing really magic about it, just a neat way of connecting multiple grounds.
Old 10-14-2003, 09:13 AM
reidry
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: New invention, Ground to fiberglass bodies (vettfixr)

:iagree:

Gotta call BS on this one too, anyone can purchase some nice grounding blocks and wire and create the same thing. Grounding blocks are available at auto parts stores and better ones are available through car audio shops. "Audiopipe" is one brand name for this kind of stuff.

Ryan
Old 10-14-2003, 11:02 AM
ROD NOCK
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: New invention, Ground to fiberglass bodies (vettfixr)

Basically all it is is a grounding block that attaches to the body. One line runs to a chassis ground or back to the battery and then there's connections for all the grounds that go to it. Nothing really magic about it, just a neat way of connecting multiple grounds.
:iagree:
These are kits avail for those who need an electrical system or upgrade. They're pre-designed for those who want to avoid the design aspect. They're taking the 'chassis ground' out of the picture with the 'grounding buss'. This also avoids unnecessary drilling and wiring to accomplish the grounding circuit. (something of desire to custom kit car builders)
If your vettes electrical system is operating correctly, there's no gain to be made by installing one of these kits.
For me, I've been slowly redesigning for some time (in sketches) the 'high current' end of my electrical system for max performance and ease of accessory install. I find this to be the area of the system in need of improvement. :chevy
Old 10-14-2003, 05:47 PM
pillowmeto
Le Mans Master

OK i understand what you guys are saying, i nthe picture it had little circuits for both the front and interior grounds, what is the effect of those since that more than simply a block as i understand.

MAtt
Old 10-14-2003, 06:09 PM
reidry
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If they are putting some active circuitry in the loop then they are trying to remove noise i.e. for Audio applications where you might have noisy ground due to the EM fields generated by the engine ignition cycle.

Ryan

Get notified of new replies

To New invention, Ground to fiberglass bodies

Quick Reply: New invention, Ground to fiberglass bodies