C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM Rear Bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 06:56 PM
snakey
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM Rear Bearings?

I knocked out my spindles with a spindle knocker. (Not too bad! T/A off the car and it took about 50 whacks with a 5 lb hammer.) What did GM use for OEM bearings in 1977? I don't think my rear bearings have ever been serviced but I found Timken bearings installed.

Also, anyone ever reused rear bearings after using a spindle knocker? I believe Tom454 is against it and I certainly respect his opinion over mine, but these look good. (wishful thinking?)

Thanks for any advice!!
Old 10-13-2003, 07:30 PM
69vette66
Pro

Default Re: OEM Rear Bearings? (snakey)

When I did mine I bought my all of my bearings and seal from GM. They were timkins also.
Old 10-13-2003, 08:26 PM
phxraptor
Burning Brakes

For what bearings cost why would you want to REUSE them ? :cheers: :seeya
Old 10-13-2003, 08:45 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I used some aftermarket bearings in a recent rear end rebuild and the bearings lasted about 5 months. Now, they were probably set up wrong, but I went with quality GM parts this time around - and rebuilt properly.
Old 10-13-2003, 09:22 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,613 Likes on 1,336 Posts

NDH (New Departure Hyatt) were the original bearings I believe. Don't bother trying to reuse the bearings. For $25 replace the set. If they weren't damaged knocking out the spindle, the outer bearing most likely will be once you try to get it off.
Get Timkens,they're still made in the USA-I think! NAPA carried 2 different bearings,1 made in China,the other in Mexico. I would Japanese bearings but that's about it.
Gary

[Modified by gtr1999, 7:16 AM 10/14/2003]
Old 10-14-2003, 06:56 AM
Gary79
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: OEM Rear Bearings? (gtr1999)

when i re-did my rear bearings, i pulled timkens out and i had a replacement set from one of the national corvette supplier houses, no names will be mentioned, but the front bearings were timkens and the rear replacements were chinese made, so i went to a regional industrial bearing and belt house, called Berry Bearing. walked in on a saturday at 11:45 am, got the bearings and races, paid them, and they closed for the weekend at noon. i believe the bearings on our vettes are bearings that were also used on Impalas or full sized chevys, although i not absolutely sure of this.
Old 10-14-2003, 08:26 AM
Van Steel
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Re: OEM Rear Bearings? (Gary79)

replace them w/the timken bearings
Old 10-14-2003, 11:45 AM
Barry's70LT1
Drifting

Received 831 Likes on 242 Posts

Default Re: OEM Rear Bearings? (Gary79)

when i re-did my rear bearings, i pulled timkens out and i had a replacement set from one of the national corvette supplier houses, no names will be mentioned, but the front bearings were timkens and the rear replacements were chinese made, so i went to a regional industrial bearing and belt house, called Berry Bearing. walked in on a saturday at 11:45 am, got the bearings and races, paid them, and they closed for the weekend at noon. i believe the bearings on our vettes are bearings that were also used on Impalas or full sized chevys, although i not absolutely sure of this.
I had the exact same experience. I didn't like the Chinese bearings either and went to a local bearing outlet and they had 100's of Timken in stock.
I asked why they had so many of those bearings. They said they are used in "everything". Utility trailers, mobile homes, cars etc, etc.

When GM developed the IRS for the '63 model year, they used "off the shelf" bearings.
Old 10-14-2003, 03:07 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: OEM Rear Bearings? (Barry's70LT1)

You can get Timken in a lot of places, including Auto-Zone. I had to go to a lot of different stores in town before I got a full set of USA made Timkens. Some of them are made in Canada, Australia, maybe Mexico. Anyway, check the box. It will give the country of origin.

Get notified of new replies

To OEM Rear Bearings?

Quick Reply: OEM Rear Bearings?