C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding Positraction additive

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 04:07 PM
C32B
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding Positraction additive

Hey gang, I need some assistance. This is probably a very stupid question especially for any Vette mechanics out there . . . however, I need some help. I'm trying to add some posi-traction additive and none of my standard or metric sockets fit the fill plug for the rear end. It's a square plug (not what I expected). It could be that my sockets are too shallow . . . Is there a special socket I need? I can't get a crescent wrench up in there and am at a loss. I don't want to strip the lug.

Thanks. :smash:
Old 10-13-2003, 04:13 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Adding Positraction additive (C32B)

I ended up taking all the spare tire stuff out, wanted to anyways, but still was a biatch to get to with a wrench. Might try a crows foot wrench (think that is the name) basically a wrench head with a socket connection. Interested to see what others say.

:lurk:
Old 10-13-2003, 04:19 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They do have special "square" sockets for those plugs. They really make the job easy with an extension and breaker bar.
Old 10-13-2003, 05:58 PM
PigPen
Advanced

Many others and myself have got it with a 18mm twelve point socket and longggg extensions. Or they do sell 8 point sockets.
Old 10-13-2003, 07:10 PM
C32B
Instructor

Thanks for the feedback. I'm just relieved that I'm not the only one who has run into this. I was expecting responses like, "the square nut seems to be the one servicing the car . . ."

I tried with my 18mm but was afraid I would strip it. I informed my wife that they have just the proper tool at Sears but I would have to purchase the Big Red rolling tool chest with all the drawers . . . I don't think she's buying that one. I tried.
Old 10-13-2003, 07:29 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 755 Likes on 525 Posts

"The square nut seems to be the one servicing the car . . ."

Couldn't resist.
All good advice above. I am going to do this a few weekends from now and I am going to suck out all the old lube and replace it. I am going to use a turkey baster with a hose on the end or buy a small pump of some sort.....any suggestions???
Old 10-13-2003, 08:12 PM
mvftw
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Adding Positraction additive (theandies)

I just went to Sears to get the square socket and the don't carry it anymore. Snap-On sould have them...
Old 10-13-2003, 08:32 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

I dont remember it being terribly difficult, but I do tend to block out those bad memories. I probably used a vicegrips, since my tool collection is limited. I did find it was so much easier getting to it with the rear passenger side tire removed. Is the rear tire off? MJ
Old 10-13-2003, 08:51 PM
C32B
Instructor

Default Re: (MNJack)

I backed up onto ramps. I was able to get to the lug with no problem. Plenty of room behind the tire from underneath. It just seamed that even with an extension that all of my sockets did not fit snug enough. It looked as though if I removed the spare tire holder that I could get to it with a crescent wrench but I ran out of time. Maybe next weekend.

I noticed "theandies" lives a little West of me. Maybe if I purchase the socket and share he'll let me use his turkey baster to add the oil! :lol:
Old 10-13-2003, 10:22 PM
Fang S-289
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the feedback. I'm just relieved that I'm not the only one who has run into this. I was expecting responses like, "the square nut seems to be the one servicing the car . . ."

I tried with my 18mm but was afraid I would strip it. I informed my wife that they have just the proper tool at Sears but I would have to purchase the Big Red rolling tool chest with all the drawers . . . I don't think she's buying that one. I tried.
Not a bad idea at all :D

Get notified of new replies

To Adding Positraction additive

Quick Reply: Adding Positraction additive