C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Pad Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 02:41 PM
Taijutsu
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Brake Pad Replacement?

As soon as I get the parts delivered, I need to replace pads on my 74. Are there any shortcuts or problems I should know about before starting? I know this isn't rocket science but every job can be made more/less complicated. What do I need before I get in the middle of this job? TIA

Rick
Old 10-13-2003, 02:57 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Default Re: Brake Pad Replacement? (Taijutsu)

Pads are easy on C3's. Only problem is with the pistons popping out after you remove the pads. You can get a little tool that holds the pistons in while you replace the pads, or you can make one with a flat piece of sheetmetal or aluminum.

I highly recommend bleeding the brakes after a pad replacement as it is possible to get air in the lines from moving the pistons around.

Also use anti seize (sparingly) one surfaces of the pad that contacts the pistons and the caliper. Of course be sure not to get any on the friction surface. A tiny dab of antiseize on the retaining pin and a new cotter pin and you're done.
Old 10-13-2003, 04:29 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Brake Pad Replacement? (zwede)

It takes longer to jack the car up than to change the pads. Very easy .
Old 10-13-2003, 04:36 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Brake Pad Replacement? (Taijutsu)

I bought a pistion retainer from MAD or ZIP or somoeone but as stated by Zwede you can easily make one yourself, just look in one of their catalogs and you will get an idea of what to make.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Pad Replacement?

Quick Reply: Brake Pad Replacement?