C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

>> Gas boiling in carb?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 10:04 AM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default >> Gas boiling in carb?

Went over to my friend Grayhook's place this weekend in the vette to help with his Edelbrock carb install. We jumped in my vette to go get some parts and the thing wouldn't crank. We smelled gas and pulled the air cleaner. We saw what looked to be gas bubbling out of the air bleeds...well, the large air bleed on the outboard side of the passenger side primary. This might explain some stumbling and loading up I have experienced the past 3-4 days right after cranking it hot. We decided that a heat shield would fix this problem. Anyone disagree with the diagnosis? If not, how's this (HLY-108-70) for a fix? http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...or+heat+shield

Brett :thumbs:

[Modified by Brettmc, 9:05 AM 10/13/2003]
Old 10-13-2003, 10:07 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 146 Likes on 128 Posts

Default Re: >> Gas boiling in carb? (Brettmc)

I used a phenolic carb spacer.Wood also works as well :cheers:
Old 10-13-2003, 12:33 PM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Default Re: >> Gas boiling in carb? (Alwyn678)

I used a phenolic carb spacer.Wood also works as well :cheers:
Thanks! I just ordered the HLY-108-70 and as an impulse item, the RUS-641090.

Old 10-13-2003, 12:36 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Couple other things to check, EGR crossover and no return line will also increase fuel temp. Spacer should help the EGR heat issue and lots of full throttle should work on the no return line. :)
Old 10-13-2003, 10:18 PM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Default Re: >> Gas boiling in carb? (Fevre)

Couple other things to check, EGR crossover and no return line will also increase fuel temp. Spacer should help the EGR heat issue and lots of full throttle should work on the no return line. :)
Return line with a carb app? How would that be plumbed?

Old 10-13-2003, 10:50 PM
bigvette1
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you block off the exhaust crossover in the intake? Also, what about the heat riser - does it work? Might try wiring it open.
Old 10-13-2003, 11:48 PM
blunsford
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Poor quality gas or gasohol can cause it. Use alcohol free gas if you can.
Old 10-14-2003, 04:26 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Return line with a carb app? How would that be plumbed?

The return line is right next the feed line on the frame, if ou have a stock pump you should have one. The return line also allows fuel to circulate through the pump so it is not just sitting there baking from the heat.
Old 10-14-2003, 08:26 AM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Default Re: >> Gas boiling in carb? (Fevre)

Electric fuel pump here. No return line. Have no idea about crossover as I have not had intake off since I bought the car in 2002. It's a torker 2 so more than likely the crossover is blocked and there's no egr. I'll put on the heat shield when it gets here later this week and go from there.

Old 10-14-2003, 09:29 AM
70vert
Banned Scam/Spammer

I had the same problem this summer with my bb. It would run fine for a while then just die going down the street (it did this 4 or 5 times). Open the hood, gas dripping from the carb to the intake, gas boiling in the primaries, very scary (now I carry a fire extinguisher).
I did a couple things:

1. Used a Mr. Gasket 1" phenolic block insulator between carb and intake. I have a 2' drop air filter base with an open 3" air filter, no clearance problem with a stock bb hood.
2. Insulated the fuel line between the pump and carb.
3. Gutted the heat riser valve (it was sticking).
4. New fuel pump (just in case).
5. New soft fuel hoses where applicable. The return line on the gas tank was very questionable (a B too reach also). Also, blow out all the fuel lines with compressed air.
6. I though about using a vented fuel cap also, but stayed with the sealed unit.

I have never had a problem sense I made the changes. I listed the changes in order of importance (I believe). Hope this helps.
Old 10-14-2003, 09:39 AM
PRESSURERAT
Pro

What carb are you using? I have had that problem with Edelbrock(or Carter) AFB style carbs and know other folks who have too. I got a holley and no more problem. Another 'issue' with those carbs I have noticed is that when they sit overnight or longer the gas goes out of the carb somehow(evaporates?) causing you to pump the gas pedal like a madman until the car starts. Anyone else notice this?
Old 10-14-2003, 10:03 AM
Guru_4_hire
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: >> Gas boiling in carb? (PRESSURERAT)

fuel cooler http://store.summitracing.com/partde...art=FLX%2D4136
Old 10-14-2003, 10:35 AM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Default Re: >> Gas boiling in carb? (70vert)

I had the same problem this summer with my bb. It would run fine for a while then just die going down the street (it did this 4 or 5 times). Open the hood, gas dripping from the carb to the intake, gas boiling in the primaries, very scary (now I carry a fire extinguisher).
I did a couple things:

1. Used a Mr. Gasket 1" phenolic block insulator between carb and intake. I have a 2' drop air filter base with an open 3" air filter, no clearance problem with a stock bb hood.
2. Insulated the fuel line between the pump and carb.
3. Gutted the heat riser valve (it was sticking).
4. New fuel pump (just in case).
5. New soft fuel hoses where applicable. The return line on the gas tank was very questionable (a B too reach also). Also, blow out all the fuel lines with compressed air.
6. I though about using a vented fuel cap also, but stayed with the sealed unit.

I have never had a problem sense I made the changes. I listed the changes in order of importance (I believe). Hope this helps.
Yup, thats whats been happening to me the past few times I've taken it out. I'm gonna try 1 & 2 and see what happens. Thanks for the tips!

Get notified of new replies

To >> Gas boiling in carb?

Quick Reply: >> Gas boiling in carb?