C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shorty vs. Long tube headers?? Help me with pros/cons....please!?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 08:24 AM
c3vettelover
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shorty vs. Long tube headers?? Help me with pros/cons....please!?

I am going to put a set of headers on my 78, but I wanted to hear from some of you guys on the shorties (block huggers) vs. long tube headers. Is anyone using the shorties? Is there much difference clearance wise under the car between the 2? Installation for both seems pretty straight forward....!?

Thanks in advance.... :cool:
Old 10-13-2003, 08:34 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Shorty vs. Long tube headers?? Help me with pros/cons....please!? (c3vettelover)

The only thing I've ever read about the shorties is that they don't give you the benefits and increased horsepower as much as the full length. I have the Dynomax Ceramacoats on mine and there are no clearance issues.
Old 10-13-2003, 08:49 AM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: Shorty vs. Long tube headers?? Help me with pros/cons....please!? (vettfixr)

I have shorties on mine. There are no clearance problems with the ground if that is what you are asking. The pipes run in the same path that the stock pipes run. Hope this helps some.
Old 10-13-2003, 08:56 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Shorty vs. Long tube headers?? Help me with pros/cons....please!? (c3vettelover)

Long tube headers breath better, the more hp you make the bigger gains you will see. If you are talking about a stock eng I would just stay with the rams horns but you are going to upgrade and add true duals then the long tubes are the way to go.
Old 10-13-2003, 09:06 AM
GRAYGHOST
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put the Dynomax headers on my 78 with no problems!
Old 10-13-2003, 09:19 AM
LemansBlue68
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Short headers offer improved flow over factory manifolds because the tubing has smoother contours than the original cast manifolds so they are less of a restriction to flow. The tubes are too short to take advantage of "tuning" the exhaust pulses so that they work to increase the engine's breathing around your torque peak.

The length of the primary tubes on the long tube headers is established by the time it takes for the exhaust pulse to reach the end of the tube and then reflect back up the tube. The pulse travels down the tube and back up at speed of sound. The idea is that the exhaust pulse from the previous cycle reflects back up to the exhaust valve at the optimum moment to pull additional intake charge into the cylinder during valve overlap of the next exhaust/intake cycle. This only works over a narrow range of engine speeds, generally around the engine's torque peak RPM.

Get notified of new replies

To Shorty vs. Long tube headers?? Help me with pros/cons....please!?

Quick Reply: Shorty vs. Long tube headers?? Help me with pros/cons....please!?