C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spare Removal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 02:32 AM
PewterMetallic98
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spare Removal?

How would it look to remove the whole spare tire assembly off the back of an 81? I was hoping to free up some weight that is not needed. Would it look funny at all? I wana try and run the biggest tires I can in the back for pretty cheap too. What do you guys think?
Old 10-13-2003, 05:56 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Spare Removal? (ElectronBlueC3)

I took the spare & it's carrier off my '81 for some paint & cleaning up. It didn't look bad without it fitted but a lot of the underside was visible, which would be OK if it wasn't covered in rust/grease!
Why not just take the spare out & leave the carrier in place? The tub itself doesn't weigh much & the support bracket could be lightened quite a bit. What I noticed while fiddling about under there was that the rear bumper cover is shaped a bit like a parachute & looks like it would do a good job in trapping air and causing drag. The spare tub looks like it helps to prevent air turbulance under the rear end, so I'd keep it in place. Losing weight is important but so is keeping a smooth airflow under the chassis.
:cheers:
Old 10-13-2003, 07:47 AM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

I removed my spare tire & tub a couple of years ago.

I think the weight removal improves the car's "feel".

There's a lot more to look at (exhaust, differential, etc.) under there without the spare. If you clean the area up, I think it'd look fine, maybe better.

There is some talk (check old threads on this subject) about the spare tire & tub being structurally required for safety during rear end collisions.

Check old threads too for the biggest tires. Some have fit 275s, maybe even 295s (I can't remember for sure), but the spare tub doesn't come into play with tire size.
Old 10-13-2003, 08:38 AM
OHSIXX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor 03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Default Re: Spare Removal? (jerryp58)

I asked this same question a few weeks ago. Seems the spare tire and tub is part of the rear end safety design. Provides some protection in case you get hit from rear.

I decided to keep mine on for now, but might remove just the tire later.
Old 10-13-2003, 02:28 PM
machineg
Advanced

I Removed mine about 3 months ago. When I got into the car and drove around, I thought to myself--- I should have done this before. My 81 seems to handle better. I think its a great FREE improvement. Although now that I can see underneath better... I want to get new duel exhaust... hehe

Get notified of new replies

To Spare Removal?

Quick Reply: Spare Removal?