C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooker glasspack inserts or spiral baffles??? which is better value

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2003, 07:25 PM
nitrocharger
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hooker glasspack inserts or spiral baffles??? which is better value

So I think I'm finally breaking down and buying another set of sidepipes, this time from Jet Hot. The only question left is what mufflers to buy. I hear people rave over the spiral baffles, are they really worth the extra $180? Which one has better sound control? Let the opinions fly!
~Christian
Old 10-12-2003, 07:51 PM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Hooker glasspack inserts or spiral baffles??? which is better value (nitrocharger)

I say the spiral baffles are better hands down. Good noise reduction with very little back pressure.

Chuck
Old 10-12-2003, 08:24 PM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 260 Likes on 211 Posts

Default Re: Hooker glasspack inserts or spiral baffles??? which is better value (nitrocharger)

I've had both, and the Hooker glass pack is VERY restrictive. There was a noticable increase in low end torque with the spiral baffles. The spirals make a bit more noise but sound good.
Old 10-12-2003, 08:47 PM
1Bad69
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Hooker glasspack inserts or spiral baffles??? which is better value (Duke94)

spiral baffles... :thumbs:
Old 10-12-2003, 08:49 PM
Deslok
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

spiral baffles :cool:
Old 10-12-2003, 08:51 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

Default Re: Hooker glasspack inserts or spiral baffles??? which is better value (Duke94)

OMGoodness...

This is not even a debate. Back when my crate 454 HO was stock, I put the sidepipes on there with the Hooker glasspacks... the car made significantly LESS power than it did before! :( It literally would not rev over 4000rpm, and the motor was tuned perfectly prior to the install. I pulled them out after 40 miles of driving and just ran open pipes for a few weeks. Obviously I could feel a significant power increase with the open pipes. It was WA 2 LOUD however, and I was nervous about getting in trouble with the locals. After all I want to have fun driving the car, not putz around all the time and literally be embarrassed even when just casually pulling away from a stoplight.

So I got the JCL's. I went ahead and uncapped them before the install b/c I wanted maximum power out of them. Truth be told, I did not dyno the car before and after, but I could not tell ANY power loss compared to open pipes. :) Sound is very loud at WOT (wouldn't be as bad if I'd left them capped up, I'm sure), but at part-throttle cruise it just sounds great. Not too loud or obnoxious... but you can definitely hear them, like you should with sidepipes. :D

I recently upped the ante with my combo and the JCL's are still flowing great, as is evidenced by my power numbers.

Unless you have a very, very mild SBC I would not mess with the Hooker glasspacks. I sold mine at a huge loss.
Old 10-12-2003, 08:55 PM
74 vert
Melting Slicks

Location: Where are the Smoky Mountain Cruisers? Not Correctly Restored Stingray
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Hooker glasspack inserts or spiral baffles??? which is better value (WA 2 FST)

baffles :cool:
Old 10-13-2003, 10:04 AM
ScubaJKD
Burning Brakes

Not even a question. I had the glasspacks and the sound sucked as well as the performance. For the pain in the azz to install the sidepipes and then pull them off to remove the glasspacks it really is worth while to do it right the first time. Go JCL and dont look back you will not be disappointed.

Moss

:cheers:
Old 10-13-2003, 11:58 AM
SnoDrgn
Team Owner

Location: Swords Check/Saws Check/Clubs Check/Claws Check/Hatred Check/Anger Check/Murmaid Check/Murder Check
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran

baffles :thumbs: If you get the reverse flow inserts you'll end up replacing them within the next year with baffles anyway. I still have my reverse flows sitting in the garage :crazy: :leaving:
Old 10-13-2003, 12:41 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Hooker glasspack inserts or spiral baffles??? which is better value (SnoDrgn)

Spiral baffles all the way :smash:
Old 10-13-2003, 12:42 PM
BeaterShark
Drifting

Default Re: Hooker glasspack inserts or spiral baffles??? which is better value (SnoDrgn)

The Hooker glasspacks are horrible for two reasons:
1) The glasspack core diameter is tiny (1 7/8")
2) It uses a louvered core tube so that the metal is punched INTO the airstream, causing the effective diameter to be even less.

I vote for generic perferated core glasspacks which are basically a straight pipe with a bunch of holes drilled in the core tubes, wrapped with fiberglass. Then, have a muffler shop weld some disks to slip fit them into the side tubes.

I actually bought just the glass pack muffler core tube (2 1/2") and had disks welded to it. THen, wrapped the tube with fiberglass and slid it in the side tube. Total cost including muffler shop labor was about $70 for the pair. This also allowed me to not have to drill holes in the side tube.

I've heard nothing but good things about the JCLs, but I can't stomach the price.
Old 10-13-2003, 08:57 PM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Hooker glasspack inserts or spiral baffles??? which is better value (BeaterShark)

As everyone said....Spriral baffles...hands down!

Just wanted to let you know JETHOT is a great company. but sometimes the product doesnt come out perfect....if you search topics by my name and title Jethot....you see i posted some pics of my pipes...fortunately they are going to recoat them for free. Only other complaint with them is they supplied absoluetly no mounting hardware...make sure you tell them you want it...
Chris
Old 10-14-2003, 08:49 AM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

If I'm going to put any mufflers into my sidepipes - it will be the STS baffles...

Get notified of new replies

To Hooker glasspack inserts or spiral baffles??? which is better value

Quick Reply: Hooker glasspack inserts or spiral baffles??? which is better value