C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

those modern, new fangled inside mirrors with compass & auto dimming...?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2003, 04:13 PM
OkeeGuy
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default those modern, new fangled inside mirrors with compass & auto dimming...?

you know the ones...
i have a really cool one in my Oldsmobile Aurora...
has a compass and it does the day/night thing automaticly when it gets dark...

does anyone know if these functions are self contained in the mirror or is there an "outside source" somewhere else in the car like in the computer?
i realize that it would need at least a 12 volt lead and a ground run to it but thats not a big deal....
id love to find one out of a late model wreck to put in my 79 if it isnt too complicated...
Old 10-12-2003, 04:32 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: those modern, new fangled inside mirrors with compass & auto dimming...? (SIGNGUY)

I've seen a couple of guys with them here on the forum, I think you can buy them form J.C. Whitney. Although I think one from a wrecked car would probably be higher quality.
Old 10-12-2003, 06:06 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Default Re: those modern, new fangled inside mirrors with compass & auto dimming...? (Smokehouse69)

As far as I can tell the OEM mirror is using a CPU outside of the mirror. I could be wrong about the CPU but they are using a sensor for sure that is outside of it.

I also know that you can buy these aftermarket and the mirror looks just like a GM model. Do an internet search and youll find a couple.

I was debating this but ended up pulling a perfectly nice smaller rearview mirror out of a 95 Pontiac Sunfire since my original was loose. For $5 I couldn't refuse it.

Brent...
Old 10-12-2003, 07:14 PM
OkeeGuy
Safety Car

Default Re: those modern, new fangled inside mirrors with compass & auto dimming...? (MN-Brent)

alrighty then....i did some lookin around and heres what i found...
the prices of the aftermarkets that i found range from $99 to $300... :eek:
the difference is whether you want just auto dimming...
auto dimming with compass...
or auto dimming, compass and outside temp...
all that i looked at were self contained...ie, no cpu...
sounds like the junk yard is the way to go...
the only question is...are the factory ones self comtained too...
hhhmmm....
any GM guys out there know???
Old 10-12-2003, 07:35 PM
toyvet1
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: those modern, new fangled inside mirrors with compass & auto dimming...? (SIGNGUY)

Some web site like fyi or something like that has a article on those mirrors. The compass is built into the mirror. They have a temp sensor you locate in front of the radiator. All you need is a groung and 12v power feed. Hope to see your interior photos soon, my 79 with doeskin get's started the first of the month when it get's put away for the winter..
Old 10-12-2003, 07:52 PM
toyvet1
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

try this link.. http://www.diynet.com/diy/ab_parts_a...271284,00.html
Old 10-12-2003, 10:33 PM
OkeeGuy
Safety Car

Default Re: those modern, new fangled inside mirrors with compass & auto dimming...? (toyvet1)

thank you so much...i appreciate it...
i dyed my top dash pad black yesterday and tomorrow i will dye the doeskin and paint the steering columm...
ill be posting more pix...
:yesnod:
Old 10-12-2003, 10:42 PM
Desertdawg
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09

Gary,, great idea. :thumbs:

Let us know how much they are at the junk yard if you find one. I might try this upgrade.
Old 10-12-2003, 10:48 PM
reidry
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: those modern, new fangled inside mirrors with compass & auto dimming...? (Desertdawg)

Anyone know of a current production car/mirror that is only auto dimming, I find the compass and temperature annoying?? I know it can be turned off but I'd prefer one without the little lcd square in the corner and I'd prefer a quality unit if the aftermarkets are cheesy.

Thanks,

Ryan
Old 10-12-2003, 10:52 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Default Re: those modern, new fangled inside mirrors with compass & auto dimming...? (reidry)

My Corvette's mirror is autodimming. Whenever some butt in an SUV gets behind me at night, I automatically flip the sunvisor down. :D

Kidding aside, My grandma's 2000 Acura RL had an autodimming mirror with no other options, as does her new Chrysler Pacifica.

-Steve
Old 10-12-2003, 10:53 PM
dewcustom
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: those modern, new fangled inside mirrors with compass & auto dimming...? (Desertdawg)

i have had one of these in my c3 for about 4 year now and i love it
of course the compass does not get much use but the auto dimming is wonderful being so low to the ground and right in line with head lights
the temp is cool to know somtimes like this summer when it was so hot i was driving on a concrete road and the temp was 110 and then the road changed to black asphalt and the temp jumped to 115 :eek:
Old 10-12-2003, 10:54 PM
bigblockbob
Drifting

Wow this is an awesome post... I hope i remember this when i get to the interior of the shark!!! :thumbs:
Old 10-13-2003, 12:21 AM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Default Re: those modern, new fangled inside mirrors with compass & auto dimming...? (bigblockbob)

My 98 S10 blazer has auto dimming only and it will mount up to your existing mount on your windsheild without any problems.

The compass and temp are on the overhead console.

Try the newer S10s. Theyre getting crashed and junked left and right.

Brent...
Old 10-13-2003, 01:56 AM
Enad
Racer

I put one in a year ago. I like it. :thumbs: All the brains are on the mirror. You need to run wire to power and a temperature probe (if so equipped). The one I bought included dimming, temperaure, compass, and two very handy map lights. I know Whitney has them as low as $100. I found the best price of all places at Northern Tool. Less than $200.

Your going have one nice interior when you get all done.

Dane
Old 10-13-2003, 09:41 AM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: those modern, new fangled inside mirrors with compass & auto dimming...? (Enad)

I will be looking into this option - when the time comes.
My '89 Buick Park Ave has the dimming mirror without all the other
stuff. Probably the same one in many Caddys of the same vintage.

Also, I will be considering the transplant of the fiber optics from a 90-ish
Buick or Caddy for use in the vette.

:seeya
Old 10-13-2003, 11:11 AM
Guru_4_hire
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: those modern, new fangled inside mirrors with compass & auto dimming...? (NHvette)

The auto-headlights that are in the new GM vehicles would be really cool too.
Old 10-13-2003, 08:43 PM
OkeeGuy
Safety Car

Default Re: those modern, new fangled inside mirrors with compass & auto dimming...? (Guru_4_hire)

i called the one and only junk yard here in our very small town and he said that he would hunt me up a nice one (if he could find one) and that i could but it for $50... :yesnod:
ill keep yall posted...

Get notified of new replies

To those modern, new fangled inside mirrors with compass & auto dimming...?

Old 10-13-2003, 09:14 PM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Father & Son St. Jude Donor '09

Sounds like a deal.

I'm holding out for a set of C5 mirrors with the auto dimming feature. The inside mirror and the driver's side could be bought with the auto dimming option in 2000 I think.
Old 10-14-2003, 10:22 AM
Intermediate

Default Re: those modern, new fangled inside mirrors with compass & auto dimming...? (74-Roadster)

The Mazda6 is getting a nice suto dimming mirror that you can program your garage to operate off of!!! Need to find a banged up Mazda6!

This is an exerpt from the web site link below:

The Gentex automatic-dimming mirror features a fully integrated Johnson Controls' HomeLink Wireless Control System. Three buttons conveniently located on the face of the mirror can be programmed to operate garage doors, estate gates, security systems, home lighting, and other radio-frequency controlled devices.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/031002/deth005_1.html

I am looking for an auto dimming mirror, but one with the garage door feature built in too, looks like this is the one, now to find a wrecked Mazda6.
The Gentex Corporation is tha manufacture of all premium auto dimmed mirrors for most makes of cars.

Old 10-14-2003, 10:29 AM
Intermediate

Default Re: those modern, new fangled inside mirrors with compass & auto dimming...? (1981)

Sorry to repost, but I found a great web site for information of the type of mirrors on the market.

Like I said the Gentex Corporation manufactures tons of mirrors for the automotive industry. This web page has info on just about any type of mirror you can think of. Even tire pressure monitoring in your mirror!

http://www.gentex.com/auto_plo_interior.html

Quick Reply: those modern, new fangled inside mirrors with compass & auto dimming...?