C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

little help-edelbrock carb install

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2003, 12:46 PM
grayhook
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default little help-edelbrock carb install

ok guys i know some one been here before,just got a edelbrock preformer 1406(600 cfm w/ ele. choke) and use'n stock intake with adapter. my qus. is what air cleaner to use with stock hood,and what throttle linkage bracket to use on my 79 L82
thank's
Gerald :flag
Old 10-12-2003, 02:58 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: little help-edelbrock carb install (grayhook)

You should be able to adapt your stock accelorator cable and bracket to work on the Edelbrock carb. As far as the air cleaner, goes have you tried you stock air cleaner base? I have a buddy running a Edelbrock on his 79 L-82 and I pretty sure he is using his stock Air cleaner. Since you are running an adapter you might have hood clearance issues, I don't know which base you could use, I don't think a drop base will work with a Edelbrock.
Old 10-12-2003, 03:30 PM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Maybe I can help a bit. I am in the same boat. Whenever a member posts a thread about an Edelbrock carb setup, expect little to no answers. It is almost like mentioning Edelbrock carbs is a sin and members avoid repling to Edelbrock carb threads like the plague. Back to your question. I have an Edel carb and I ran into the same issue. I called the Edelbrock tech line Friday and the tech advisor said that you have to modify your stock bracket. I bought a Holley throttle bracket and it worked without any modifications. You will have to use a drop base air cleaner with your setup.
Old 10-12-2003, 04:46 PM
grayhook
Pro

thank's for the tip's guys :flag...i went to the part's store and ordered a throttle bracket(old one just not going to get it, can't seem to get full throttle out of it) and did some modding :smash: to the org. air cleaner to give room for the ele. choke and wa la it fit and the hood closed with no problem. :thumbs:
Old 10-12-2003, 05:40 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

I had all of the same issues putting my 1405 on. I used a banjo fitting on the fuel line to clear the air cleaner. When I went to a braided hose with aluminum fittings, I needed to :smash: a little.

[Modified by Scooter70, 5:40 PM 10/12/2003]
Old 10-12-2003, 09:46 PM
pillowmeto
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a 2 inch drop base with i belive a 4 inch K&N filter thats 14 inches around, thats the highest you can go on my 76, it rubs a bit on the insulation so a filter top would be uselss there. I have the same carb and the small square to spread bore adapter. Youll have trouble with the the etension on the side of the carb hitting the egr valuve, that can just be taken off and a small block off plate made and then a bolt, not sure which size but a 1/2inch long one, put into the hole where the lines lead to in the front of the manifold. The heat choke plate can stay, just disconnect the lines to it. I use marine grade fuel lines, which are much thicker, and my drop base intake has a tendency not to close all the way down cause it pushes on the fuel line, id suggest a banjo fitting. In all honesty id suggest just buying a new manifold, thats what id do if i did it again, and i plan to put a new one on soon. The carb made a big diffrence for me, but the edlebrocks have a tendency to stall around hard turns or during hard breaking, your rpms will drop alot. If you plan to auto cross id just sell the edlebrock and buy a holley. THis is my experience with doing exactly what you are about to do. by the way this was on a 76 L48 w/ turbo 350. Youll also need a cheap advance auto parts throttle cable bracket, adjustable. The stock one will not work with the edlebrock or with the adapters.

MAtt
Old 10-12-2003, 10:59 PM
dman535
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: little help-edelbrock carb install (Scooter70)

Edelbrock makes a plastic adapter righ that goes around the air horn of the carb. I found I had to run one to get the air cleaner to seat properly. It might allow the use of the factory air cleaner.
Old 10-13-2003, 08:51 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

For the throttle bracket I used a Summit bracket and for the air cleaner I use a 2 inch drop base with a 1/2 inch Spectre air cleaner riser. You can make the riser out of any sheet metal, it's just a band that fits over the carb air cleaner ring and raises it 1/2 inch. Check my sig pic for the bracket.
Old 10-13-2003, 05:34 PM
grayhook
Pro

Default Re: little help-edelbrock carb install (vettfixr)

i got the bango fitting and the advance auto bracket and the stock air cleaner to work.
thank for the tips.. :flag
vettfixer man that's a nice looking job you did on that motor :cool:
Old 10-13-2003, 07:48 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the compliment. It's a career just keeping it clean but I wouldn't have it any other way. :lol:
Old 10-13-2003, 09:13 PM
grayhook
Pro

ok, got it all in and drove it some :auto:
....all i can say is DUDE....SWEEEEET :D
got to do some final tuning but i like it :hurray:
one more time i say thank's for the tip's all
love this place :flag
Old 10-13-2003, 09:19 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

:thumbs: :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To little help-edelbrock carb install

Quick Reply: little help-edelbrock carb install