C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

extended warranties - who do you use? are you happy with them?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2003, 10:36 AM
LT4Mike
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default extended warranties - who do you use? are you happy with them?

I have a 96 LT4 - I got a 2 yr 24,000 miles ext warranty when I bought it 2 yrs ago from the dealer. The company does not renew them after they expire.

I would like to replace it. Who do you have? Are you happy with them?

What's their phone number, or web site ?

Thanks
Old 10-12-2003, 03:24 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: extended warranties - who do you use? are you happy with them? (LT4Mike)

The three-year warranty on my 2001 Impala expires in December. When I purchased the car in late 2000 I was not impressed by the cost of a GM extended warranty. After extensive searching on the internet, and chatting with friends in the automotive industry, I went with the people shown below. The warranty was extended to seven years for $995US, no deductible per claim. The clincher was their agreement to cover the most common problem on GM V6 engines: the intake manifold gaskets, overheating and head warpage. I must emphasize that I have not made a claim.
http://www.1sourceautowarranty.com/GetVIN.asp
Old 10-12-2003, 04:14 PM
JB
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: extended warranties - who do you use? are you happy with them? (paul67)

I've read a number of articles about extended warrenties & personally I would never buy one. They are a huge cash cow for dealers and other companies that offer them. As a rule, they're just not worth it--most people who buy them never use them--statistically, you're a lot better off keeping you money in your wallet until you have an actual need for a repair.

JB
Old 10-12-2003, 04:21 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Default Re: extended warranties - who do you use? are you happy with them? (JB)

My friend purchased one with his 2000 Toyota 4Runner when he bought it new. Last year, the truck had a bad vibration in the driveline so he brought it into the Toyota dealer (with 65,000 miles). They started throwing parts at it (u-joints, driveshaft, entire differential...) and spent three weeks doing it. When they finally got done, the warrantee company sent him a bill for $2500. They wouldn't cover it because he couldn't show recipts for the 25,000, 30,000 and 60,000 mile checkups or any oil changes, since he did them himself. The fine print on the original warrantee said that all scheduled maintenance must be done at a Toyota dealership for the warrantee to remain in effect. Moral of the story #1: Watch the fine print! Moral #2: Extended warrantees are junk!

YMMV
Old 10-12-2003, 04:35 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Default Re: extended warranties - who do you use? are you happy with them? (Scooter70)

They wouldn't cover it because he couldn't show recipts for the 25,000, 30,000 and 60,000 mile checkups or any oil changes, since he did them himself. The fine print on the original warrantee said that all scheduled maintenance must be done at a Toyota dealership for the warrantee to remain in effect.
He can easily fight that. It is illegal to demand service is performed at any specific shop/dealer for warranty coverage. You can do it yourself and warranty is still valid. For a dealer or extended warranty company to deny coverage they have to prove two things:

1. Service was not performed. They can check it by analysing the wear patterns in engines and transmissions.

2. The lack of service caused the failure.

Unless they can prove both the above the warranty is valid. The warranty company is pulling a fast one on your friend.
Old 10-12-2003, 04:37 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Default Re: extended warranties - who do you use? are you happy with them? (Scooter70)

I can't agree that warranties are "junk." Spent some time with a GM dealership and saw them in action. But the person who posted can do his/her own homework here.
http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/Web...el=Warranties&
Old 10-12-2003, 05:34 PM
JB
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: extended warranties - who do you use? are you happy with them? (paul67)

Paul, I wonder if we're on the same wavelength here. I agree factory warranties are great things--covers assembly screwups, bad parts, etc. and it's free. It's extended warranties that are something of a scam, IMHO (and in the opinion of a lot of smart folks. You pay a lot, they generally don't cover much, they generally have unacceptable (and sometimes hidden) exclusions, and they generally have substantial deductables (though I know the one this fellow was looking at doesn't). Worst of all, most of them start at 30K miles, when the bugs have been shaken out of your car and majorproblems are unlikely for another 50K miles or more.

Anyway, folks who need the feeling of security or can't do the work themselves should certainly consider them. For the rest of us, I don't think they're a good idea.

JB
Old 10-12-2003, 05:48 PM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 521 Likes on 351 Posts

Dealer wanted to sell me one really badly when I bought my new Avalanche last week. Took forever to convince them that I wasn't interested in paying $3500 extra. After all, I don't think it will cover the exhaust, intake and other mods I am planning. :D Can anyone say Magnacharger? :smash:

Seriously, great truck. Got a 2003 with a serious rebate. $35,600 list, off the lot at $28,150. Bought it in Denver (sales guy was cool, just not the paperwork people) and drove it to WA. The Vette will now be a true weekend warrior. Time to get on with the winter mods (Steeroids, Hydroboost, bigger cam).

Personally, I don't believe in extended warranties. I'll do the work myself if necessary or just suck it up and pay.
Old 10-12-2003, 06:16 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

JB, I'm with you. I had heard, read and learned that the warranties sold are almost pure profit for the dealer and company. We bought a 2003 Jeep Rubicon in May, and the first question the dealer asked when we finally sat down to sign the papers was "do you want the extended warranty"! :confused: I said I don't think so, I have 7 years and 70,000 miles on the factory warranty, I think I'll decide in year 6! :lolg: He didn't like that answer. :confused:

At Best Buy recently, I purchased a $99 pair of 5mile walkie talkies on sale for $69! At the register the check-out person asked me if I wanted the 1 year extended warranty for another $49! :eek: As W.C.Fields said, "there's a sucker born every minute." :D
Old 10-12-2003, 07:10 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

JB,
We shall see. You may be right. But I doubt it. As I noted my 2001 Impala goes off warranty in December. There is no deductible on any claim, there are no hidden nuances in the language of my contract and my local GM dealer will honour those claims. The basic GM warranty is 60km/36mi or three years. That is what I have as most of us do. I now have an extension to 130,000km or about 85,000mi. That cost me $995US as noted above in late 2000. I am comfortable with that. One minor transmission repair would exceed that amount.

As to doing it yourself, I would not even try it on the cars of today: too much complexity. As I write the low coolant light is on on the Impala. The coolant is not low and this one has been fixed before: bad sensor. I will get it fixed under warranty. I like to fool about with my Corvette but will not do the same thing with a daily driver. Sorry to disagree!
Old 10-12-2003, 07:46 PM
JB
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Contributor

Oh, heck Paul, disagree away. It's half the fun here. :D

I wouldn't mess with a lot of the electronic type problems on my cars & trucks, but most everything else I can do as a shadetree mechanic. Just a for instance: my wife's '96 Taurus went out of warranty at 33K miles and I bought no extended warranty despite heavy pressure from the dealer to do so, no major problems til 98K miles and the transmission went (wouldn't have been covered even under the extended warrenty, which I think only went to 60K) and the EGR valve quit (fixed that myself). So if I'd bought the $2000 extended warranty, I'd simply be out $2000. That proves absolutely nothing, of course, except it worked out in my particular case, but I'm glad I didn't buy it.

I do have to wonder, too, why they push it so hard at the dealership if it's such a good deal for you. My experience with dealers is their #1 priority is profit, not protecting me. The guy I bought my Silverado from actually said, "a lot of things can go wrong after 33 thousand miles." I was tempted to ask him if he was trying to tell me Chevy trucks were so crappy they wouldn't last longer than that.:D

JB

[Modified by JB, 6:55 PM 10/12/2003]
Old 10-12-2003, 10:13 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Here is my take on Ex warranties. If you are a do it yourselfer, take the money and put it in a savings account.

If you are not a DYS buy only the manufacturers Ex Warranty. As with the above cautions for "aftermarket" warranties, they are also more likely to go belly up and leave thier customers uncovered.(seenit happen, not in the auto industry though)

I have been in sales of major ticket items for 10 years now. We never pushed even the manufacturer ex warranty, even though the manufacturer strongly encouraged it, mark up is 100% on ex warranties.

Now there is one item we will not sell without an ex warranty, its a peice of junk guaranteed to break more than once in the not so distant future. :rolleyes:
Old 10-12-2003, 10:35 PM
LT4Mike
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: extended warranties - who do you use? are you happy with them? (LT4Mike)

Why is everyone getting off track with this inquiry? I'm simply wondering if any other C4 owners have an extended warranty, and if so, who are they using and how much, and how happy are you with it. I bought my 96 LT4 2 yrs ago and the dealer offered me an ext warranty. I paid $2,400 for it and during the 2 yrs it paid for about $5,000 worth of repairs. For instance, clutch and flywheel, pwr brake booster, pwr antenna, and various other modules and sensors. I have worked in "service stations" before they became self serve grocery stores. As well I'm an old Ohio farm boy, I know my way around vehicle repairs. Unfortunately, I don't have the setup in my garage and driveway to pull trannys and engines and such. My vet is a drive to work car and I can't have it out of service for any length of time. There are alot of things that I do myself to my vet that are not covered on my warranty. Just because you're a "do it yourselfer" does not mean that you can't make use of an extended warranty.

I'm looking VETTE ext warranties, not other cars or trucks. Many don't even cover Vettes, I want to know which ones do and who they are.

Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To extended warranties - who do you use? are you happy with them?

Quick Reply: extended warranties - who do you use? are you happy with them?