C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter motor shimming and operation questions......

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2003, 09:54 AM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Default Starter motor shimming and operation questions......

Hey gang, so I am putting on my new mini starter, and I am following the manufacturers instructions on shimming (http://www.cvrproducts.com/techinformation.html) and my question is, when the pinion gear pops out and meshes with the flexplate should it pop back in by itself if you let go of it or if you cut the power to it? Mine stays engaged, but if I move the flexplate even the slightest amount, it pops back by itself. If you notice in step 3 of the instructions, it states to "push starter drive back into original position." so I am assuming that this is normal. I guess I always figured that they popped back as soon as power was cut, and me moving the flexplate by hand would be like the motor moving by itself. I even put on the original stock starter, and it does the same thing. Is this right?
Old 10-12-2003, 10:58 AM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Starter motor shimming and operation questions...... (7t2vette)

Bruce,

I went through the same thing with a CVR & Powermaster mini hi-torgue starter. CVR didn't document it very well, but Powermaster did that it "is normal" for gear reduction starters to not let loose when just turning the engine over. The are designed to let go when the engine starts and takes the pressure off of the starter bendix. As long as you have the correct clearance you are alright.
Old 10-12-2003, 01:37 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Starter motor shimming and operation questions...... (7t2vette)

What I found with the all starters is that they are too far from the flex/fly wheel and the starter has a real running start before it ingages. When you pry the starter gear forward it doesn't engage 100% with the flywheel. This is really hard to correct.
I adjusted mine so I could pry it forward and it snapped back when released. You said that yours jumps back as soon as the flexplate is flexed so it must be slight binding somewhere and the flexing of the plate releases the starter.
I am sure it will work fine but if it is not a problem try correcting even this slight binding.

Get notified of new replies

To Starter motor shimming and operation questions......

Quick Reply: Starter motor shimming and operation questions......