C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm in Wiper Hell - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2003, 09:28 AM
Eric76
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm in Wiper Hell - HELP!

Got two really annoying issues that made driving home in the rain last night a real "joy" :skep:

Would greatly appreciate any help with either/both problems:

(FYI: I have a 1976)

1) Wipers "chatter" across windshield. Instead of a smooth glide - it's almost like they are sticking or as if there's too much pressure against the window that's preventing them from gliding smoothly. Slightly better on high speed, but still not great. On low speed, the blades got "locked" together after hitting one another (this was so much fun having to pull off the highway in the rain to free the blades so I could see/drive).

2) Driver side blade is extending over the windshield pillar which makes a really annoying noise as it bangs across it. Seems like theres an alignment/adjustment issue? How is that corrected?

I think there's more rain in the forecast soon so I need help quickly!

Thanks!

[Modified by Eric76, 8:29 AM 10/12/2003]
Old 10-12-2003, 03:31 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: I'm in Wiper Hell - HELP! (Eric76)

Since your 76 is now pushing 28 y/.o......the wipers may be old and worn with abuch of looseness....one thing you need try is loosening the two bolts on the motor end of each tie rod, they clamp over the pivot *****, and reposition the blades to not touch each other...meaning one has to be further down then the other at that point..so they miss....my may have to bend one or both of the tie rods to get extra range out of them....slightly bend...not a lot.....

GENE
Old 10-12-2003, 04:47 PM
marioncole
Advanced

I think this is a common problem on C3s. I tried many things to correct the driver side wipre ovreextending and going out onto the window post. I think it boils down to the actual rotating part that the wiper holder is pushed down onto. The part with the knules on it. I think it has too much slop. However, these parts are not available. So I am thinking of buying a later model and trying to make it fit. I would be interested if anyone has found the source of this problem as my assumption may be wrong. I would hate to change this part and still have a problem. Eric, let me know if you get a solution. Thanks
Old 10-13-2003, 11:45 AM
72GACRZR
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: I'm in Wiper Hell - HELP! (mrvette)

Another solution I read was to use shorter blades, so they don't over lap.
Old 10-13-2003, 12:02 PM
Eric76
Intermediate

Default Re: I'm in Wiper Hell - HELP! (72GACRZR)

Another solution I read was to use shorter blades, so they don't over lap.
I was thinking about that. It would prevent them from banging into one another as well.

Still wondering is anyone has ideas about why the blades are chattering across the windshield? Could it just be "bad blades" or something else?
Old 10-13-2003, 12:09 PM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'07

On the chatter thing.
You might try ....
1)alcohol to clean off the blades. Sometimes crud gets on them and makes them chatter.
2) New blades. Often this does the trick.
3) Rain-x on the window. Many times this solves the chatter problem. It did on my Dad's old Crown Victoria.

Dep

Get notified of new replies

To I'm in Wiper Hell - HELP!

Quick Reply: I'm in Wiper Hell - HELP!