C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help ... still no brakes !!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2003, 08:58 PM
REC3
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help ... still no brakes !!!

I have replaced the calipers and the master cylinder , bled the brakes ( no air in line ) some brake pedal , but when I crank the car the pedal goes all the way to the floor . Any help will be appreciated ,
Old 10-11-2003, 09:08 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Help ... still no brakes !!! (REC3)

Sometimes the new Master Cylinder is bad- out of the box. I have heard of this from other forum members.

Sometimes your need to tap on the calipers to get trapped bubbles out of the system.

Sometimes air is introduced at the bleeder threads back into the system.

Sometimes the rubber hoses to your calipers will bulge out when aged giving you a soft pedal. I suggest stainless steel braided teflon hoses that will not bulge.

Try the 2 man pump and hold method and tap the calipers once you know that everything on your system is good-including the "proportioning" valve block.

To get my brakes rock solid I first did the gravity method 2X around car and got about 1/2 quart of fliud that way, but still did not have a good pedal when car was started. I then went to the pump and hold method 5-10X to each bleeder and went around the car 2X starting from the farthest bleeder away from MC to the closest. I got about another 3/4 quart this way.

Also remember the rear calipers have 2 bleeders, an inner and an outer. You bleed the inner first then the outer. Your routine should go as this:

RR inner, RR outer, LR inner, LR outer, RF, LF

Try it again until you get it.

Brent...
Old 10-11-2003, 09:15 PM
81vette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your sure there is no air in the lines then it's probably the master cylinder.

Mark
Old 10-11-2003, 11:15 PM
Glenn's 67 BB Vert
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Help ... still no brakes !!! (81vette)

Did you bench bleed the master cyl b/f you put it on if not take it off and start over--my 2 cents worth --its happenned to me so your not alone --Glenn :banghead: :party:
Old 10-11-2003, 11:29 PM
tlc85
Advanced

hey Bobby I guess nothing brake boster. maybe we need to try to a differnet way to bleed the brakes?? :confused:

Get notified of new replies

To Help ... still no brakes !!!

Quick Reply: Help ... still no brakes !!!