C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me solve a problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2003, 04:24 PM
hiyosilver
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me solve a problem

My 73 runs good on initial startup then tries to die when driven a few milesand then i limp home with it bucking like a wild mustang .Thought it was a fuel problem so i cleaned tank ps new tank 5 yrs ago .Shipped carb to lars for rebuild and he tested on several vehicles and it ran out well.It seems to be electrical or perhaps vac advance going out .Also it did all this before carb was removed .Initial timing at 12 before .Have replaced cap and coil with same results.Could this be acondenser breaking down or your thoughts are welcome.ps has ajocobs ignition but abutton on box to switch to conventional ign .
Old 10-11-2003, 04:31 PM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Help me solve a problem (hiyosilver)

Is your engine running hot? (vapor lock or shorting something out). Do you have HEI(check the HEI module). It sounds like heat is a factor.
Old 10-11-2003, 04:45 PM
arrio76
Instructor

If you have an HEI setup, it may be that the pickup coil may be going bad. I recently had a similar problem with mine. It would warm up then start to crap out, misfire etc. Finally it would not start anymore. I pulled the dist., disassembled it, removed the pickup coil assembly and replaced it. Runs fine now. There are some continuity checks you can do to verify if the pickup coil is the culprit.
Good luck.
Old 10-11-2003, 06:42 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The condenser could do that but not likely. I had a 70 years ago that had the cover on the choke rod ( the one on the intake manifold) missing. The choke coil would open pushing the rod up(opening the choke). Then as it kept getting warmer it woul continue over the center and begin going back down, closing the choke. The engine would barely run. See if the choke is on when the engine warms up. wild guess :confused:

[Modified by bluevetteman, 6:43 PM 10/11/2003]
Old 10-11-2003, 06:59 PM
Ron Major
Advanced

Try changing the fuel filter, make sure the power piston is not stuck in the carb, try seeing if you have a cracked distributer. If that does not help, try changing the fuel pump........but usually when the fuel pump goes bad your dead in the water. Good Luck!
Old 10-12-2003, 06:30 AM
guppie
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08

I'd try checking the fuel pump, I had a lot of problems with mine and when it went out I could still drive it but I had to baby it or it would fall on it's face and top speed was around 35mph, drove it about 40 miles home from a car show that way.
If your module might be bad and breaking down it can be checked by some parts stores. I know Napa does. Good luck with it :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Help me solve a problem

Quick Reply: Help me solve a problem