C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will my stock hood clear the Air Gap intake,carb & cleaner?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2003, 02:48 PM
surfolly
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will my stock hood clear the Air Gap intake,carb & cleaner?

I have a 1980 model and I would like to put an Edelbrock Air Gap intake with a Holley carb/air cleaner on my small block. Will all of this fit without modifying or changing the stock hood? I would greatly appreciate your help!
Old 10-11-2003, 03:31 PM
69vette66
Pro

Default Re: Will my stock hood clear the Air Gap intake,carb & cleaner? (surfolly)

Yes it will work, But you have to use a carb with no choke tower and a drop base air cleaner. I use a drop base with k&n filter and Extreme lid.

:cheers: Larry
Old 10-11-2003, 03:46 PM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Default Re: Will my stock hood clear the Air Gap intake,carb & cleaner? (surfolly)

Stock hood will be fine.Check my site for pics.
Old 10-14-2003, 09:12 PM
surfolly
Advanced

Default Re: Will my stock hood clear the Air Gap intake,carb & cleaner? (The Money Pit)

Thanks for your response! Which intake are you running on your Vette?
Old 10-14-2003, 09:21 PM
surfolly
Advanced

Default Re: Will my stock hood clear the Air Gap intake,carb & cleaner? (69vette66)

Thanks for your response Larry. I'm not doubting you, but I've had so many folks tell me the Air Gap won't work with my stock hood, while I've had some say it will fit. Could you tell me how you found out that it will work? Did you or someone you know use the methods you mentioned. I don't mean to sound liike a pain, but the company (MAS Performance) that I'm considering for a crate engine (383) comes with an Air Gap intake, carb and it's dynoed and jetted. I hate to order it after all of that and then it doesn't fit! Thanks very much! Lee :chevy
Old 10-14-2003, 10:34 PM
69vette66
Pro

I have a air gap intake with a Barry Grant Carb. It will work, but you have to use a drop base and a K&N filter with a Extreme lid to get max air flow. Also type in a search for air gap intakes on this site. Some are using a 9inch K&N, with I also have but my car ran rich and still does. I have a 421 small blk, all motor, NO bottle and run pump gas. You have to use a carb with NO choke tower, so it might be a problem is you are cold weather, or install a fast idle Solenoid. I have a 74 style hood.

:cheers: Larry

Get notified of new replies

To Will my stock hood clear the Air Gap intake,carb & cleaner?

Quick Reply: Will my stock hood clear the Air Gap intake,carb & cleaner?