C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lift Off

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2003, 12:26 AM
JC Orange 72BB
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift Off

Finally major progress. After tinkering around through the check list we have lift off. Early August was when it happened, but was not able post because of some set backs. So far so good, the frame is in fair shape, there's rust, but only really bad in one spot where the foam pad between the fame and body. I did the poking of the screw driver and the rest seems solid. The plan for winter is to strip it down. I was able to recover most of my build sheet on the gas tank. What did you guys do to preserve it and why do i hear that this piece of paper is important. This summer i purchased a pressurized sand blaster. i plan to clean most of the parts this way, but for the frame should i blast it or should i wire wheel it to get off the loose rust. Im thinking of wire wheeling it because i dont want to remove to much rust and make the frame too thin. Plus i heard that por15 bonds better to rust than bare metal. Give me your opinion thanks to your guys help and ideas.

[Modified by JC Orange 72BB, 11:39 PM 10/10/2003]
Old 10-11-2003, 01:37 AM
IWAVE2
Advanced

Default Re: Lift Off (JC Orange 72BB)

Hey JC, great pics. I am thinking about doing the same thing to my 75 this winter. How long did it take you to get everything unhooked and get the body off of the frame? What did you use to lift the body with? Were your body mounts difficult to get loose (due to rust)?

I am on the fence about removing the body from the frame, but I would really like to get the frame looking as good as the body when I paint it.

Looks like you are doing it right. Have fun with it.

Thanks.

Jon
Old 10-11-2003, 02:21 AM
8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow.....That's some major rust. Por15 will bond very well to rust....however you should make sure the integrity of all weld joints are not jeopardized. Also if rust has completely penetrated through frame....I would weld metal plate across the gap.
Looks like you have your work cut out for you.....should keep you very busy during the winter.....that's a nice body cradle.
Old 10-11-2003, 03:53 AM
Kenzy
Racer

Default Re: Lift Off (8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE)

Good job! How much of your interior did you remove prior to lift off?
Old 10-11-2003, 07:39 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,338 Posts

Nice job. I really like the cradle too. Would you care to share the print, I would like to build one like that.
:cheers:
Gary
Old 10-11-2003, 09:18 AM
LemansBlue68
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Im thinking of wire wheeling it because i dont want to remove to much rust and make the frame too thin.
________________________________________ ________________________

Don't worry about removing too much rust. Rust has absolutely no structural strength at all. If you're frame is thin, it's thin. Period. I would have your frame pressure blasted with sand or black beauty, or if you have a place near you that does this, have it acid dipped (that's what I did). Dipping gets the rust out inside and out. You will then get a better idea about what needs to be repaired on your frame. You will have to weld in a repair section in that area near your #2 mount anyway. I painted my bare (i.e. rust free) frame with POR15 with absolutely no adhesions problems. Just follow the POR15 instructions for prepping. The minor pits that will be left after sandblasting (or dipping) are rough enough for the POR15 to bond to.

You've got a lot of work ahead of you but it looks like you're off to a good start. You'll be very pleased with the results when you're done.

Good Luck!!
Old 10-11-2003, 02:09 PM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 140 Likes on 74 Posts

Default Re: Lift Off (LemansBlue68)

For what ever reason I cannot view your pics but I've been there so I no what they look like. It gets pretty scary when you start but once it's off you feel gooooood. Now when it is back together, that’s the best feeling of all. :lol: Take your time and have fun with it. I used a wire wheel on mine.
The important thing about having your build sheet off the tank has to do with knowing exactly what options were ordered when the car was built. Mostly for NCRS judging, I have mine but I'm not to worried about originality.
Old 10-11-2003, 10:12 PM
JC Orange 72BB
Heel & Toe

Default Re: Lift Off (redwingvette)

IWAVE2: How long did it take you to get everything unhooked and get the body off of the frame?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My father and I would usually do a little bit at a time. We would do a few items from the checklist every couple of days. It took us about a month to a month in a half to finish the checklist but we were in no hurry. Im sure most would have it much quicker, but for us the car gets put on the back burner with other projects. Oh the checklist can be purchased at http://www.ncrs.org/

IWAVE2:What did you use to lift the body with?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We used a 2 ton engine hoist and a body lift kit.

IWAVE2: Were your body mounts difficult to get loose (due to rust)?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some were a PITA while others were fairly easy. In the rust hole pic you can see we had to cut some bolts because of the square nuts were spinning in their cages. I recommend PB Blaster to help penetrate the stubborn rusted bolts.

Kenzy: How much of your interior did you remove prior to lift off?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just the seats because of the weight, and some of the plastic interior panels, but that was because the panels were dirty.

gtr1999: Would you care to share the print, I would like to build one like that.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Of course, i found this idea from another member, but modified it to fit my needs.

LemansBlue68: have it acid dipped
Can you give me a rough estimate what this would cost? Also, I was thinking if i choose acid dipped, could i get it galvanized like the boat trailers do?

redwingvette: For what ever reason I cannot view your pics
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry, i exceeded my bandwith for the day. Next time i will know what to do to fix the problem.

Oh yeah one more thing GO CUBS!!!!!!!

:party:

Get notified of new replies

To Lift Off

Quick Reply: Lift Off