C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to Forum: What is the right way to ask for help

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2003, 10:45 PM
marioncole
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Forum: What is the right way to ask for help

I have posted several requests to the forum needing help from anyone with an 82 to advise how the AC is plumbed (pictures or word descriptions would be great). I have also asked for help from anyone using a Sandeen AC Compressor. There have been only a couple of replies (mostly from others who would like to get the same information) but no one suppling the information I seek. Am I asking the wrong way? There must be a lot of 82 with Small Block and AC on this forum. There must also be a couple of 74 to 82 with a Sandeen Compressor. What am I doing wrong?
Old 10-10-2003, 10:52 PM
Riley
Instructor

Default Re: New to Forum: What is the right way to ask for help (marioncole)

well i am new to so and i am shure someone will jump in. I just pull the motor out of my car and with that came the A/C so i can't take a pic of it hooked up but if you want i can take a pic of the hoses and where they go on the compressor. Iwill check tomorrow if i have the same compressor. As far as asking the right way, you seem to be on the right track, just need to find the right person to give the answer. good luck

:cheers:
Old 10-10-2003, 11:06 PM
Glensgages
Race Director

Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts

No problem; just keep 'asking'.....
Not too many '82 owners here (I don't think); Twin Turbo, BSeery, and Desertdawg, but keep your eye on 'da Dawg; he 'runs-over' critters!!!!!
(Desertdawg, you just KNEW it was coming.....)
Can't help your problem, but I'll keep tabs on this thread.....
Old 10-10-2003, 11:16 PM
marioncole
Advanced

Default Re: New to Forum: What is the right way to ask for help (Riley)

Thanks. I notice that you have an 80. It uses a different evaporator than the 82 but same Accumulator. Can you take a picture of the Evaporator Box (i'm curious how the tubes exit from the Evaporator case as this is slightly different than on an 82. and one of where the Accumulator is located?
Old 10-10-2003, 11:54 PM
JB
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

The way you're asking is just fine.:) You sometimes have to kick a post back to the top a couple times before you get an answer (just post again with a "TTT" as the message) because a lot of folks don't check in every day and don't read anything that's not on the first page. Popular topics like how to paint or tune carbs will get answers right away, but model year specific A/C topics are going to take a little longer.

JB
Old 10-10-2003, 11:57 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

If you are looking for help with a Sanden compressor check out a couple of websites that car them. http://www.hotrodair.com and http://www.vintageair.com. One of these places sells an adapter that allows you to hook a Sanden to a Corvette/GM A/C.
The real way to get help is to search the Archives for past posts that might have something to do with your problem or question. After you find some more out about what you need to know, then post and ask your question.
Old 10-11-2003, 01:07 AM
marioncole
Advanced

Default Re: New to Forum: What is the right way to ask for help (Smokehouse69)

Thanks Smokehouse, these web sites give me agreat place to start. It looks like they mau have exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks again
Old 10-11-2003, 03:50 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: New to Forum: What is the right way to ask for help (Glensgages)

Desertdawg, but keep your eye on 'da Dawg; he 'runs-over' critters!!!!!
(Desertdawg, you just KNEW it was coming.....).....
But I'm still almost a whole second faster than you slow butt.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm guilty of not helping you out, I read your post a couple of times. and didn't reply. I'm not real sure what you were asking, and it was real late at night, after my brain was shut down.... :crazy:
Old 10-11-2003, 06:58 AM
Glensgages
Race Director

Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Re: New to Forum: What is the right way to ask for help (Desertdawg)

Desertdawg, but keep your eye on 'da Dawg; he 'runs-over' critters!!!!!
(Desertdawg, you just KNEW it was coming.....).....
But I'm still almost a whole second faster than you slow butt.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
marioncole:
See? I tried warning you; Desertdawg ain't TOO bright!
While it IS true that 'da Dawg's '82 is almost a whole second faster than mine at the drag-strip, he hasn't figgered-out that it'd be even FASTER without all the critter-fur hanging-off his Corvette!
On top of THAT, he recently performed a frame-off restoration to replace a few burnt-out tail-lights!
:crazy:
Old 10-11-2003, 02:08 PM
Enad
Racer

I have what's left of an 82. Sorry I offered no help as I've been on a sabbatical contemplating the meaning of life being a second or more slower than Dawg. That not solved maybe I can offer some help.

I just converted my AC this summer. Here's the overview. You have two large hoses on your AC compressor. One runs forward to the condenser that is in front of your radiator. A hard line runs from there along the right fender wall to a joint near your dipstick. This is where your orifice tube is. :D Really

Past that joint the line runs into the evaporator. This a mysterious part inside a big black box. It is programmed to leak refrigerant only after you replaced all the other parts in your system. I haven't replaced mine yet but I understand its easier and cheaper to get a liver transplant.

Out of the evaporator a hard line runs to the side of the accumulator. This is the round thermos looking thing hidden under the right fender. They have several other names for it just to make you feel stupid. It is cleverly designed so it can only be accessed by trained monkeys. Not having that kind of quality help I ended getting at it from underneath and through the fender vent.

Out of the bottom of the accumulator is an elbow pipe. This attaches to the other hose coming off of the compressor.

Hope this helps. I might have some pictures if you need them. Let me know.
Dane
Old 10-11-2003, 02:18 PM
Enad
Racer

I have also asked for help from anyone using a Sandeen AC Compressor.
I have some info on this conversion that is too big for posting. I can email if you want. Corvette Clinic offers a conversion kit.
Old 10-11-2003, 06:36 PM
marioncole
Advanced

Default Re: New to Forum: What is the right way to ask for help (Enad)

Great help guys. Thanks Enad, if you can email info and or pictures that would be most welcome to marion cole@comcast.net. I checked out Corvette Clinics web page and tried to get some information on them from the list but it appears no one on the forum has purchased from them as I recieved no information about them. I think with the help of the forum I am almost home. By the way, I have the Evaporatot box, heater box and all under dash AC ductwork removed but if it were in place I would be able to see the end of the blower motor wheel by looking down through the screen you mention in the right side of windshield wiper cowl. If you need any pictures, please advise
Old 10-11-2003, 06:52 PM
marioncole
Advanced

Sorry about the blower information in last post. It was Butch Stronm that was asking and it was from an email not this post. So I just sent a reply to him. Just in case anyone was wondering why is he telling us about the blower motor.

Get notified of new replies

To New to Forum: What is the right way to ask for help

Quick Reply: New to Forum: What is the right way to ask for help