C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interior delete starts tomorrow morning

Old 10-10-2003, 08:34 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Interior delete starts tomorrow morning

Whatcha think I will find under the seats of a 32 year old vette? Some loose change... a few stale Mcdonalds french fries... ???

New carpet, seat covers(seat foam), brake console, radio, kick panel speakers & rear speakers going in and all new emblems on the outside. The vette suppliers are definitely proud of those emblems at those prices. And nothing special on the radio. I just wanted one that WORKED!

Progress pics to follow.... or better yet.... empty space to follow as I'm definitely a rookie at redoing seats.
Old 10-10-2003, 10:11 PM
OkeeGuy
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Interior delete starts tomorrow morning (bgrice)

im doing mine now...
watch out tho...those "while im in there's" will getcha! :yesnod:
Old 10-10-2003, 10:24 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Interior delete starts tomorrow morning (SIGNGUY)

SIGNGUY,

I've been following your efforts and posts on your interior work. You are definitely going into a project much further than I am. If it weren't for the aged leather seats(no tears) and the center brake console that is seriously cracked I would just drive it as is, but I want to hit some of the rod runs and want a presentable interior. No show car.... just presentable and it should be that.
Old 10-11-2003, 09:44 AM
no_radio
Drifting

Whatcha think I will find under the seats of a 32 year old vette? Some loose change... a few stale Mcdonalds french fries... ???
That's what I found...along with a couple really old gas receipts. I also found a small handful of what looked like interior screws under the carpet, although the car had all it's screws and the interior appeared to be all original....dunno why they were under there...

Good luck with your project, you will really appreciate the difference when you're done!
Jeff
Old 10-11-2003, 02:58 PM
Enad
Racer

Jimmy Hoffa? :D

Good luck on the project.

Dane
Old 10-11-2003, 03:40 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Interior delete starts tomorrow morning (Enad)

<-------Ruh Roh! 90% :lol:

(Update)
The passenger seat is out is out and the 4x6 speaker has been installed in the kick panel on that side. The driver's side seat is being a real pain in the butt on the back outside bolt. I had to grind down the length on my 1/4" drive 1/2" socket to get the one on the other seat, so hopefully a little more shortening will get this one tomorrow.

[Modified by bgrice, 5:56 PM 10/11/2003]
Old 10-11-2003, 06:59 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

Just junk under the passenger seat and the old carpet rips apart easily. Is there some kind of adhesive that needs to be laid under the new carpet?

Old 10-11-2003, 07:45 PM
gmcclurg
Racer

No just lay the carpet down. It will stay. I did glue down and tape the seams of the insulation (EZ Cool) that I put under the carpet.
Old 10-11-2003, 09:03 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Interior delete starts tomorrow morning (gmcclurg)

gmcclurg.....

Thanks! The old carpet was somewhat stuck to the rubber insulation, so I wasn't sure if there was some adhesive that was needed when I put the carpet back in. After really looking at the seats I'm probably going to opt out of redoing them myself and let an upholstery shop install everything.

Ed T.....

I'm not looking foward to reinstalling those back bolts, so thanks for the light tip. And yep.... the clown thread had *meanie* George zapping me 10%. Go figure it! :confused:

And just kidding. It was a pretty rough thread and I already told George I was going to note him as *meanie* not to lose another 10-90%. All in fun... I can accept it.

I dare anyone to...... nope...... I'll attempt to stay out of trouble for a few weeks. :cheers:

Looking foward to having some music soon. Here's the little compartment in the kick panel with a newly installed speaker.
Old 10-11-2003, 09:21 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Looks great BG. :thumbs: Installing some electrical-to-mechanical sound transducers in that location beats the heck out of putting them in the dash. You will lose some high frequency response in that location but that probably won't matter much.

I remember finding over a dollar in change in my 71 when I rumaged through it, also a reciept for the aftermarket radio and some leaves.
Old 10-11-2003, 09:23 PM
INTIMIDATOR ZO6
Melting Slicks

:seeya A word of advice lots of "zip lock bags and sticky notes" "Bag it and Tag it!" :yesnod: Place the sticky note inside of the bag. It really was a time saver when it was going back together. :D :cheers:
Old 10-11-2003, 10:02 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Interior delete starts tomorrow morning (Intimidator454)

Intimidator454....

I'm attempting to not get too deep into this where I have to worry about bagging ang tagging things. Every thing that is coming out has the screw taped into the hole that it came out of. The dash stays inpact except for the bezel.

LAvetteman....

Anything has to be better than what came in this vette as far as music components. I'm not investing alot of money into this part. Simple stereo with front & back speakers will do. I put Pioneer 6x9's in the back that are not top of the line even for them.

Here's some of the *old* coming out.

I've got the new console already put together

The worst seat.... driver's side of course.
Old 10-12-2003, 05:57 AM
Jay M
Drifting

thanks for posting! I am about to start a big project like that next week.

Here is what i am doing:
New wire harness
new upper and lower dash pads $$$
new steering column cover
new center console
new ebrake console
new eye ball vents
new header and pillar trim
new tach
all new light bulbs
new gentex rear view mirror
New rebuilt oem stereo with $2500 worth of amps, EQs, speakers, MP3 player, XM and stuff- don't worry no rap will be played on my system!

The door pannels will have to wait! I have spent WAY too much money on the car this year!

But the car is getting so nice to drive with all the mods i have done, that i may sell the maxima and make the Vette my daily driver :)

Any way i am telling you this also to warn you of the "while yer at it" syndrome! It cost me tens of thousands this summer!!! Thank God for the low interest rates this summer!

I'll try to post my project as well

~Jay
Old 10-12-2003, 03:44 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Interior delete starts tomorrow morning (Jay M)

Jay,

I done the *blow all your money on a C-3* thing with the last one. This one just gets minor improvements to age.

I dropped off yesterday one bolt short of getting the driver's seat out. GM was real comical putting those back bolts UNDER the seat. So I headed down to Sears this morning and got a 1/4" drive swivel 1/2" socket. The combination of the swivel and the socket were just too high to get that bolt out. Here's the difference(swivel socket on the right).

And the empty space... :thumbs:

And the other kick panel speaker is installed and interior cleaned up. Now... to make up my mind who recovers the seats.
Old 10-12-2003, 03:50 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

And just for a funny.....

While working on the back bolt this afternoon a damned wasp decided to attack me. I don't know what got into his craw. My initial thought? Take a swing at it. Bad idea! I had my 1/4" drive ratchet, extension and NEW socket in that hand and the socket went slinging off into the yard about 30 feet away. So, there I was out in the front yard crawling around in the grass with people driving by probably thinking... "I told you that guy was strange".

Found it though! :cheers:
Old 10-12-2003, 10:38 PM
Drew M
Team Owner

And just for a funny.....the socket went slinging off into the yard about 30 feet away. So, there I was out in the front yard crawling around in the grass with people driving by probably thinking... "I told you that guy was strange".

Found it though! :cheers:
Using a magnet makes the search a little easier. :lol: At least you found it. Good luck with the whole interior project.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:02 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Interior delete starts tomorrow morning (THawkbh)

Now is the time to insulate against interior heat ;) . I used an ice pick to help find the seat bolt holes in the floor :)

Get notified of new replies

To Interior delete starts tomorrow morning

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Interior delete starts tomorrow morning