C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quality of C3 ragtops?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2003, 03:41 PM
beary58
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Quality of C3 ragtops?

Hi All
I'm taking the advice from some of you to go start driving C3s to get a feel for good ones and bad ones. I'm looking for a 4spd convertible and I ran into a 74 the other day for $18000.00. I'm not interested in this car because of the paint, but my question is about his new top. I didn't look like fit very good (wrinkles) and it looked pretty cheap. I admit I'm used to the top on my mustang that is heavy duty vinyl with a good liner to reduce sound. This vette had a very thin vinyl and no liner. Now that is not a stopper for me, I just wanted to know if there are different quality tops for C3s. Did they ever have liners or glass? And is there anything else I should learn to look for when looking at C3 verts?

Thanks

Beary
Old 10-10-2003, 03:58 PM
pra4sun
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Quality of C3 ragtops? (beary58)

When I bought mine, the top was in very bad condition, so I replaced it. I was also surprised that the tops on these cars seemed "cheap", but I attribute that to the time period.

The only ones I have ever seen look like cheap vinyl, plastic windows (it has to be due to the way it folds) and are unlined. But, they do the job. Plus, I never have the top up anyway, only if necessary. ;-)

The top should not have any wrinkles if it has been put on the frame correctly.

Good luck with your search, you are doing it the right way.
Old 10-10-2003, 04:10 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

The stock top on a C-3 is not like the tops on modern convertibles. There is no real liner in them and they are made of vinyl. The tops can be replaced with a more modern material, StayFast canvas is a favorite of mine, but for all purposes the stock tops are a little cheesy when compared to modern ones.
As for the wrinkles it is determined by the skill of the installer and how careful the he installs it.
The StayFast tops cost about 2x the price of a stock vinyl top.
Old 10-10-2003, 04:13 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: Quality of C3 ragtops? (Smokehouse69)

I rarely ride with my top up so I don't really notice it. Mine has no wrinkles but is not like modern tops. For a 72 I guess it is a good top.
Old 10-10-2003, 05:09 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 143 Likes on 126 Posts

I just go an Al Knoch top put on and it looks really good no wrinkles good fit and finish
http://www.villagephotos.com/pubgallery.asp?id_=426013 :cheers:
Old 10-10-2003, 07:45 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It all depends on the person installing the top...can have wrinkle free, or a top full of wrinkles.....click on my sig to see a good fitting top
Old 10-10-2003, 07:57 PM
joe73vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Quality of C3 ragtops? (GDaina)

Everyone above said what I was going to say, but I want to add that a modern canvas top just doesn't look right on a vintage car. I have an al knoch top, and it fits great. I just don't have any pictures with the top up!
Oh yeah, that 74 sounds over priced. I have about $15-16K in mine, and everthing has been re-done by me or the previous owner. Joe

[Modified by joe73vette, 8:00 PM 10/10/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Quality of C3 ragtops?

Quick Reply: Quality of C3 ragtops?